Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Redneck420, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

I am thinking about saving up for a reloading kit and the calibers I am going to load are:
    7.62x54r
    .223 / 5.56mm nato
    .41 magnum
    30-30 winchester

I need recommendations for slugs, shells, powder, primers, and powder charges for each caliber.
    I plan on getting a rock chucker.

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Pick one caliber to start/learn with. Then move on to other calibers. I'd start with a pistol caliber myself.

Now you need a good kit of items to start reloading with, so think in terms of a basic "kit" instead of a peice-meal. However there's nothing wrong with good second hand items. You need a couple of books to learn from/with * The ABC's of REALOADING and a manufacturer manual I like **SPEER manual.

Another item you must have in your reload area is a solid bench/table to load from. Even if its a temp or portable structure build it solid.

Best of luck

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Buy the ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman 49th books. Between these two 95% of your questions will be answered. After that is just tips ad tricks from experienced loaders.

Check the stickies at the top of the page. Lots of good answers there too.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^^ what he said!:)

Also look around your local gun clubs and LGS to see if anyone is offering the NRA reloading class.

5. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I hate to rain on your parade but now is the absolute worst time for people trying to get started in reloading. The equipment and components are either not available or they are commanding ridiculous prices. I do have the equipment and many of the components I need to reload for what I regularly shoot but I have been frustrated in trying to find certain dies and powders. I hope you experience better luck than I.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As always, first step is to RTFM. Read The Effing Manual. Get the ABC's of reloading and/or the Lyman 49th edition and read them. Then come back and ask questions.

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Hey guys ik everyone was saying to read the abc of reloading but does this cover shotshells too? I want to get into loading shotgun ammo but not rifle ammo for a while.. Also I found the book "reloading for shotgunners" is this any good?

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

abc's

yes it does.
    ct

9. JWagner

JWagner New Member

As pointed out, the availability of reloading supplies is pretty poor. Yesterday, I listened to a talk radio program whose guest was the owner of a custom ammunition shop. He predicted shortages of reloading supplies for the next 9 to 12 months. Good luck.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I'll be "advocatus diaboli' again.

ANYTIME
    is a good time to get into reloading. Today is not the very best time for the reasons enumerated above, but it's still a good time.:)

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I just jumped into reloading in Dec and while I am sure I am paying a bit more for components and having to hunt stuff down on the internet/multiple LGSs, I am finding what I need. One thing is for sure, if not for reloading, my .223 and .45 would be gathering dust right now. I still have factory ammo in stock because I have been shooting nothing but reloads.

12. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Cleaning Brass

Wrong thread, sorry

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. Kraj

Kraj New Member

I would find a book start reading up and get some components on back order. I started about 4 months ago and im shooting more then i was 6 months ago. Buy stuff in bulk when you can and use what you can find. I started reloading and i couldnt find any of the powders listed in my book as the "best to use". So i went online to manufactures websites and read up in different books to be able to use what i could find.

14. formerCav

formerCav Member

I'd look for a dillon 550 press RL550B on line.
    Dillon has a NO B.S. Warranty and they stand behind it. Even if you bought the press used, they WILL and HAVE fixed them.
    I bought mine NEW way back in I think it was 97 or 98. Since I shot in matches, I put about 100K rounds through it. I brought it in (as I live nearby) and they basically GAVE ME a new press with THREE of my old parts on it!!
    NO CHARGE!

15. jebsca

jebsca New Member

This is about right. You may have to look a bit harder, and it may take a bit more time, but you can get started now. You may not be able to use the powder that everybody raves about, but you can find powder that works. You also may not be able to buy in bulk, but if you look, you can find the parts at a good price. Much like buying ammo right now, you just have to keep looking for a good deal on components.
    Try looking at midway. They have a good selection of components and reloading tools and accessories. They have always been fast to ship and reasonable priced.
    Hope this helps.

16. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

Lyman has a good manual on shotshell reloading with several gauges, lengths and recommended components, I'm sure there are many other reference materials available if you "dig into it deep enough" , good hunting for ref. manuals and materials. I bought my MEC 600jr way back in 1973 and still use it occaisionlly . And it still works fine.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013