Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by shoottohit1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

I'd like advice on what brand of reloading equipment y'all recommend. Or really any advice possible

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

RCBS, Hornaday, Lyman all make very good products. Single stage or Turret type presses from any of these will give good service.

Lee is (perhaps) a step down. Some of their products are equals to the above, some are just cheap.

If you are interested in a progressive there is only one I would recommend DILLON!. The finest progressive presses under $2000

It is all going to boil down to budget and need. Do you need to load 400+ rounds an hour? If not, a single stage or turret press will probably do what you need.

3. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

No lol 400 an hour is little extreme. I'm just a precision shooter that's wanting to perfect his own round ya know. Is there a particular set up you use?

4. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

And also how do I start new threads for some reason it's not letting me

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There is a sticky in this section about selecting the right press. I would start there first and see if that will answer some of your questions.

6. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I personally just got a RCBS single stage press set up. It does hurt the wallet a little more than some do, but it is of great quality. I have no complaints.

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

Lee makes good stuff that wont break the bank like Dillon and RCBS.

8. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

Thanks for the help fellows

9. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Single stage press? Lee 50th anniversary challenger kit. Log onto Lee Precision factory sales. Entire kit gets ya started for just under a hundred bucks. Been using Lee products for 25 yrs.

Attached Files:

10. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

Thanks above. I'm actually fina check that out.

11. robocop10mm

I have a Dillon RL-450, an RCBS single stage press, a Lyman 450 lubrisizer (for cast bullets), a Mec 600 Jr (for shotgun) and a Magma Sizemaster for rimless pistol cases.

Yes, I have NO color scheme to my bench. Red, Orange, Blue and Green.

The Dillon will load ammo just as accurate as a single stage press. It just depends on how valuable your time is. With a good progressive (like the Dillon) you spend far less time loading and more time shooting.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i've got an assortment of brands on reloading equipment. i with robo on his brand suggestions. i have an older RCBS single stage press my father gave me that he bought in 1970 plus some of the dies and scale. i added a Frankford Arsenal digital scale to y equipment. i do have some Lee equipment, some of it is very good and reasonable in price. i bought a Lee Perfect Powder measure that was a waste of $18! but i use Lee dies and am very happy with them. if you are doing more precision type target shooting, i would suggest a good single stage press. good reloading equipment will last the life of the reloader if taken care of. some of mine is over 40 years old and still looks and works great. another suggestion, buy a complete kit, it will save you some over buying components separately. check out Midway and MidSouth Shooters Supply, they have great prices and fast shipping.

13. phammily

phammily New Member

I use lee and so good so far

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

May I suggest that the FIRST thing you buy is a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Read thru that before you buy anything.

Dies share a common thread, so you can use RCBS dies in a Lee press, etc. You might also shop for used equipment (fleabay) as it is just about impossible to wear out a carbide die. But read da book FIRST.

15. robocop10mm

16. fmj

fmj Active Member

Why do you dislike this piece of equipment? I ask as i have one screwed to my bench and am curious to hear your thoughts.

17. Axxe55

for some reason it will not throw the same charge every time. i have tried different powders and still no luck. i just use it now to throw the main bulk of the charge and use a trickler to get the final reading.

18. fmj

fmj Active Member

Welll thats two of us...

This is why i weigh EVERY charge...that thing can be 3-4 tenths of a grain high or low in subsequent throws.

Do other powder measures throw a consistent charge EVERY time? Or is this something all powder measures do?

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I have been having issues too. I get mine to throw out about 8 or 9 dead on readings. For my range pistol ammo I weigh every 5th charge. Rifle ammo I weigh every charge.

20. Axxe55

i second the measuring twice. i like a consistent charge on my loads, just trying to make my rounds as accurate as possible. i use the powder measure to throw the bulk of the charge, and use a trickler to sneak up to the disired amount. i guess if i had spent a lot more on another brand i would probably be able to throw the same charge everytime. but maybe later on, this method works for now, because most of my reloading is for rifle cartridges. don't get me wrong, Lee does make some very good items, as i use many Lee die sets that work great.