Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Scott187, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Scott187

Scott187 New Member

I have been thinking about this reloading idea off and on for along time. First started out for rifle ammo years ago. Well now I'm wanting to just reload handgun ammo. I get you probably want save any money it will just go into more equip or other things ECT. I've read some past threads and you guys out there have lots of good advice. I'm still stuck on where to start and have a lot of questions in mind b4 I get thoughts of more questions. I guess feeling like it's complex. I am purchasing A Uberti bisley cattleman 45 lc too play with so I feel I'm going to start with maybe starting loading that. I have many other calibers I'd like to eventually pick up loading as well. Just want to keep it simple. I really just don't want tons of equip to do all kinds of jobs. I have a nice size bldg outside with heat and air so I can dedicate that to be what I do in there for a new hobby since I'm retired and disabled. What would be a good idea to start up loading the 45 lc. Then onto 45acp .40 for now probably go down to 9mm eventually. 9mm is what I'm shooting now mostly 250rds a week but don't mind buying it for now. Seems like 45lc is close to $60 for 100rds no matter where I buy it here or get it shipped here if not more. Anyone have a good idea I'm sure lots do where to start and what to build onto there

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Always buy carbide dies for your pistol rounds.

Caveman Jim and Scott187 like this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy once, cry once, get a Dillon 550. It is manually indexed, so you can go slow and even use it like a single stage if you want.

Use a bulky powder like Trailboss to alleviate a double charge.

I have two 550's one for large primer and one for small. I load 9mm, 38 Super, 38 spl, 44 spl, 45 acp, 45 Colt and am in the process of adding 41 mag.

I also load 223 rem on a 550.

Best Dillon prices on the intertubez > https://www.bobcatarmament.com/

Scott187 likes this.
  4. Gatoragn

Find a mentor, where are you located?

Take an NRA certified class on reloading.

locutus and Scott187 like this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

For just handguns, I went with the Dillon Square Deal B, it's auto indexing which is nice

Caveman Jim, Scott187 and Gatoragn like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Watch lots of YouTube videos but don't trust just anyone

Caveman Jim, SGWGunsmith and Scott187 like this.
  7. Scott187

Scott187 New Member

So far ty guys for the advice it's all appreciated and I will research it. I am a NRA member I will do just that and take a class as soon as I can make it available

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting. When you are loading if you live with others. I suggest no cell phone in the loading room and lock the door behind you. Disturbances are when mess ups happen. I learned the hard way. Mine were under charges. Had stuck bullet in the barrel as a result a few times. Better than a double charge. Also don't snack while decapping. My lead levels went up as result. They came down since i stopped snacking while working on loads.

Shopfox, Caveman Jim and Scott187 like this.
  9. Scott187

Scott187 New Member

North Carolina. I have been ooking for a class like the one guy suggested through the NRA. Not one in this state. Mass and Mo have them

10. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

2 good books are lees newest one and lymans 50th.

austin92 and Scott187 like this.
  11. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I gotta think that there's a DVD, or two, out there dedicated to metallic cartridge reloading. Dillon themselves may even have one available.
    That way you can specify your time spent learning and no need to go to class at an inconvenient time.

Just checked Amazon.com, they have an RCBS DVD for $7.50

Scott187 and Caveman Jim like this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I started about 6 years ago and started on an RCBS single stage press to learn the techniques that go with this trade (hobby).
    Get some good books, read them and follow them to the letter & as mentioned, DO NOT reload with distractions!!!
    Good luck from a former Tarheel.;)

Scott187 likes this.
  13. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

been loading since 1979.
    started with a pacific / hornady 007 single station press.
    about 1997 or so I bought a dillon 550B. Never looked back.
    I've loaded 1000 yard (that is THOUSAND) match rounds with it.
    Very versatile.
    I load. 38 spcl/357, 44 spcl/44 mag, 41 mag, and of course mostly 45 ACP (I had a grease gun at one time! LOTS of 45 rounds!)
    then in rifle, 223, 243, 25-06, 308, 6.5 x .284, and lastly just new to me is 6.5 Grendel.
    You can load rounds that will be 1/2 MOA for rifles!!
    GOOD stuff.
    I've got over 100K rounds through my Dillon.
    They GAVE me a new press and 3 of my old parts back under their NO BS warranty. (I wore it out)
    They are GREAT to deal with

14. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

Another vote for the Dillon 550 it is excellent for pumping the rounds out, especially pistol!!

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are going to load mostly pistol, start out with the Dillon 550. Dillon makes excellent dies, but personally I prefer Redding dies.

Buy, and read, ALL of the following:

Lyman reloading manual. ( I used Lyman as the textbook when I instructed classes)
    Speer manual
    Hornady manual

They're all good, but IMHO, these are the easiest to learn from.

JRDallas and Scott187 like this.
  16. Scott187

Scott187 New Member

Thanks guys all around helpful information from you all I really appreciate it.

Caveman Jim, PaBushMan and Rifling82 like this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Good luck. Truth be told, that rabbit hole is DEEP!!!:D

elfmdl and Gatoragn like this.
  18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

550 is good... 650 is better.

I was at a banquet with a table full of good competition shooters. I asked the question 550 or 650, they all yelled 650.

One thing I've learned, if anything appears to go wrong, and you get a feel when something is not right, EVERYTHING comes off the plate and goes into the tear apart bucket. Start slow, but once it's set up, pretty brainless to pump out lots of ammo in a short period of time. Super easy to change calibers, pull a plate out with two pins, if needed change out the base plate, life is back in business.

19. targa

targa Active Member

I just started reloading about a year ago, like PaBushMan said it has been almost as fun as shooting, I am glad I took it up. I am currently reloading .357mag, .44mag, 454casull and .450 Bushmaster on a Lee Classic Turret. I have the ABC’s of reloading, the latest Lee’s and Lyman’s reloading manuals for reference material.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  20. Gatoragn

To shoot hundreds of rounds per month of a single caliber, go 650 or maybe the new 750.

To shoot a couple hundred rounds of multiple calibers, I will stick with my 550.