Reloading with lee

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sniperjase, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sniperjase

sniperjase New Member

Hi can someone tell me which primers to get for the .243 win I have been told to keep away from federal coz they are sensitive what do you think anybody had any problems with them thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In their instructions, Lee reccomends CCI or Winchester.

Ummmm- you DID read the instructions? :cool:

PS- any time you reload- safety glasses. With ANY primers.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Federal primers do tend to be a bit more sensitive than CCI or Winchester. That is not necessarily a bad thing. They are not "dangerous" they are sensitive. Is your wife dangerous because she is sensitive?

Seriously, I would not recommend Federal primers for semi-auto applications, but they work fine in bolt guns and older guns with weak firing pin strikes.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah. Read the manual and stick to it until you gain some experience.

5. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I have always just used cci with my lee primer seater

6. 454fan

454fan New Member

like they said , read,read and use CCI's

7. 1hole

1hole New Member

Use any 'large rifle' primers availabe or what ever you may want to try. If Federals were 'dangerous' they would have been out of business decades ago.

8. noylj

noylj Member

Read Lee's warnings.
    Lee is too brief with both warnings and instructions. Read each carefully and fully and follow the "instructions."
    Most people I find that have problems with Lee equipment assumed they knew what to do and did not heed all the instructions, suggestions, and warning.
    In general, Lee determined that all CCI primers, most Win primers, and a couple of Rem primers are "safe" for use in a priming tray for on-the-press or auto-primer usage.
    I have never had a primer problem with any brand, but I don't want a column of primers or a tray of primers to go off on me.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

1hole,The reason that they put that warning in the instructions is because the Federal primers have a problem going off while you are pressing them into the primer pockets.
    I have had this happen before,and will not use Federal primers for any of my reloading.

It happened many years ago when I was in my twenty's,and I thought I knew everything.It scared the crap out of me,and also taught me a valuable lesson.

Read the damn instructions,and I don't know everything!

10. 454fan

454fan New Member

first time one went off on me, I wet my self.
    it was loud and spit crap all in my face.
    no longer use a lee auto prime. I set up a press for nothing but priming