Reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Joshua M. Smith, May 14, 2011.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Hello,

I've read on various boards of reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss to make a reduced load.

I'd like to try this as I usually use 335. I like the 335 load, but wouldn't mind keeping a few reduced loads around for novice shooters.

I cannot find official reloading data, though. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Josh

2. Joshua M. Smith

Thanks!

I'm surprised I didn't see this on their website. I was looking under reloading data..?

I'm notorious for that kind of thing, though.

Do you have any guesses as to what kind of pressure would be generated? Something similar to the 7.62 NATO, right?

If I could send a nice, heavy bullet subsonic, that would be even better. Suppressed M91/30, anyone?

:D

Thanks again,

Josh

3. res45

res45 New Member

Not hardly,TB is intend for reduced loads,if you use 150 gr. jacketed bullets expect MV somewhere between 1300 and 1600 fps. depending on the load density you end up using.

Even if you were to load the 54r using standard powders you still want match the 7.62 NATO pressure wise by MV will be similar with similar weight bullets. I'll take similar MV with less pressure any day.

4. Joshua M. Smith

I meant similar to pressures generated by the 7.62 NATO loaded with TB, which does have a listing on there, likewise the .30-'06.

Sorry, thought that was implied.

Josh

5. res45

res45 New Member

Sorry about that,when it comes to reloading I tend to answer the question as it was ask and not assume anything,that get people hunt or killed.

Pressure wise you not going to get the same pressure in the 54r using TB as you will with the X51 or .308 Win. case for that matter. The 54r case has less case capacity so less powder,less pressure and less MV as far as TB is concerned.