Reloading Techniques, Tips & Tricks......

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Dallas53, Dec 16, 2018.

1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Okay a couple of "organizing ideas" I've done to my setup.

I got rid of all my die boxes and now store my dies in organizer drawers (got tired of the dies I needed always being at the bottom of a stack). Each drawer holds the dies (FL & neck when I have both), the shell holders, crimp die, case gauge and trimmer. Clearly marked on the front of the drawer and organized in size order. I also use dry erase markers on the stainless steel doors for recipes I'm working on so I have easy access to any information I may need. Store brass waiting for processing in plastic coffee cans and loaded ammo in ammo cans under the bench

IMG_2274.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2274.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2297.JPG

Rifling82, Jack Ryan, Fred_G and 2 others like this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Mr. Rogue, I'm now very jealous! very nicely organized indeed.

Rifling82, Jack Ryan and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

Thank you Sir; it's been a lot of work to get it to this point and I am always looking for ways to improve it and of course make more space available. One of the things I did was to start a reloading bench Organization thread on my local gun forum and then make use of some of the ideas that thread produced. It was a big help.

EDIT: I try to keep the room as clean as I can to keep the wife happy. :)

Jack Ryan and Dallas53 like this.
  4. Dallas53

I'm very impressed with how neat and organized your reloading area is. I'm pretty organized, but you put me to shame!

Rifling82 and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.
  5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

A couple of things...mainly, I live in lower Alabama which is very high humidity and while I might intend to get back to loading, sometimes I don't and the habit forces me to go back through initial set up which helps ensure safety.

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

very impressive!

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I dunno if these are still popular, but back in the dark ages when i lived in "nawlins" lotsa pholks had little electric de-humidifiers that removed moisture from the air. The one I had had to be emptied daily. It removed about one quart of water every 24 hours.

Had I decided to stay there, I would have bought two more of them.

Dallas53 and Jack Ryan like this.
  8. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Would you like to come and straighten up my mess for me?

oO_Rogue_Oo and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Dallas53

those work great. and if you are in a very humid part of the country, having one in the reloading area might be a good idea. but don't use them so much that static electricity become a problem.

I got dibs on him first Jack. seniority thing! :D:p

oO_Rogue_Oo and Jack Ryan like this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

Sure

I'm slowly working my way toward getting involved in casting; I'll work for my weight in lead LOL

11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Be careful what ya say there. I'd jump at the chance to get all my reloading stuff in one room and organized like yours for just a couple hundred bucks worth of lead

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about a spark or something setting the gunpowder off than humidity although that is also a good reason to always return powder to it's container.

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

These will get you started :)

Drawer units

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV3NL0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plastic bins

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BT4G8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Benches and storage I got from Sam's; the shelves from Home Depot. Ammo cans from various places whenever they were on sale.

14. Dallas53

15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When loading Ackley Improved cartridges for fire forming: use the heaviest bullet you can get for the caliber, with the slowest powder in the book, at minimum charge. Seat the bullet out, so that it touches the lands, and the camming action of the bolt pushes the bullet a bit further into the case.

This seats the case firmly against the bolt face, and the fire formed case will flow to fit your chamber exactly, with out splitting, or unwanted stretch at the base in front of the extractor groove.

locutus, oO_Rogue_Oo and Dallas53 like this.
  16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

There are several ways to form cases for AI Improved chambers.

If you don't want to waste bullets, use a fast burning pistol powder, and Cream of Wheat as a filler topped off with a piece of cotton or foam to keep everything inside the case.

Or, you can just shoot the standard cartridge that the chamber was AI'd for. You don't have to jam the bullets into the lands to fire form the case. I never have, and my cases have always formed fully to the new chamber.

locutus and Dallas53 like this.
  17. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Yep that's all I did with my 30/06AI and 22/250AI..........................just loaded a standard case with what ever pill I had and used the max load quoted and went out and fire formed it. Worked every time.

locutus, Txhillbilly and Dallas53 like this.