Reloading supplies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Jnpennington, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jnpennington

Jnpennington New Member

I want to get started in reloading. Does anyone have a good list of websites to buy supplies from? i.e. best site for dies, best site for bullets, etc....

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Amazon,eBay, Brownells, midwayusa. There are lots of places. Problem is always price comparison.

a hero is not some one with special powers, or fame.. a hero simply does what is right !

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You will find every thing you need on midwayusa,com. I don't even look anywhere else anymore.

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Check with your LGS. Some of them have a good variety of reloading supplies, at reasonable cost. One trip to the store is a lot faster and less hassle than ordering and waiting for a shipment.

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I second Midway.. I do buy from some local LGS's as well.

6. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

There is also Graf and sons, Powder Valley and Mid South shooters supply but I have never ordered from them.

7. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sports World, Tulsa OK is a dang good source also. But I agree, Midway USA or Brownells will get the job done just fine. However, I would first suggest explore your LGS - you will want them there someday.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I buy most all of mine from Midway & most of my bullets from Sierra, I buy most of my stuff from right here at home !............

9. 207driver

207driver New Member

Let's not for get careful shopping on Craigslist, e-Bay, GunBroker and any local classifieds (here it's Alaskaslist), but don't get your volatiles by mail, the DOT Hazmat fees will quickly eat up any savings you had.

10. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have a turret press coming from a friend of my Dad's. He put out the word I was looking for a good beginner's set up, and a guy parted with a nice set up complete with dies and some accessories for about $200. If anyone is looking for a lightly used progressive press let me know. My Dad is selling his soon. i could email pics and details.

11. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

This is a little off the subject, but I load my own .38 SPL, .380 ACP, .40 S&W, '41 MAG, .44 SPL, .44 MAG, .45 ACP, and .45 COLT.
    I have a LEE turret press, and use LEE dies exclusively. I've never had any trouble with any dies except .45 COLT. I somehow managed to break the inside tungsten carbide sleeve of the sizing/decapping die, so I bought another set of LEE .45 COLT dies. After successfully loading one box of cartridges with the new die set, I started on a second box. As soon as I started decapping and sizing the (used) cartridges, the carbide sleeve inside the die began leaving multiple deep scratches on the outside of cases. Has anybody else had any trouble with the LEE .45 COLT dies? I didn't slam any case into it, nor otherwise abuse it. I've never had any trouble with any other dies.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Do you lube the carbide sizing bushing? It is wise to always put a small amount of lube on the carbide bushing before resizing. The dry case wall can create enough friction to pull the bushing from the swagged end that holds it. A dry soiled case can also cause damage to your brass.:)

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have done business with Natchez Shooters Supplies and I have been extremely impressed by their prices (~5-10% lower than Midwayusa) and their shipping (sometimes have my orders in only 2 days). I also have done business with Midwayusa.

14. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I would also recommend Natchez Shooters Supply that's pretty much all I order from

EZ

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I haven't been using any lube, since the LEE documentation says it isn't necessary. Thanks for the input, I'll try it and see if it helps.

16. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

First buy a book which explains what you are about to get into and tells you what you need. If you just go to a website they don't care what you buy as long as you buy lots and lots of it. The "ABC's of Reloading" is a good start.

17. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Have you contacted Lee yet? Carbide dies never need lube, but some lube them anyway. Are you sure your brass was 100% clean and you didn't contaminate the dies? I know you do know what you are doing, but even the best of us make mistakes.

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I tumbled the brass to get it somewhat clean, then washed it in hot soapy water, then rinsed it with cold water. It looked clean to me, but I'm not 100% sure there wasn't anything in it. One thing I did notice was that it seemed that the cases fit extremely tight in the die. I had to mash down on the handle very hard to get the cases to go all the way in.