Reloading shotgun shells

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by deadeye199824, Aug 10, 2012.

1. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

How would I reload a shotgun shell with # 4 Buck shot Like I need to know everything. I am going to try to start reloading them with my great grandpas reloading stuff

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Start with reading the reloading manual that he should have ;)

3. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

well he pasted and no one could find it in his house so I was thinking that some one could posobily tell me how or tell me where I could get a reloading manual in Colorado in the South west portion of it

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Your local gun store might have them or you can order one online here. The top three are probably the best. They will explain how to do it and everything you need and all the data for whatever you're reloading. It's not something you can just jump into reloading can be very dangerous. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=reloading+manual+

5. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Any Ideas if there is a store in Colorado Springs That would have reloading manuals if not thats ok I have a idea of a place that might have the reloading manula that I am looking for

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I wouldn't have a clue. You might get someone who knows in the state specific thread.

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Midway has a lot of stuff, including the great Lyman Shotshell reloading manual, and if you get serious Ballistic Products has the VERY good stuff. Do not get cute with reloading recipes. If you have ever seen any gun blow up from a reloading mistake you will know what I mean.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wroMx4kjoqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP7CYxvwy4k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hand load 12 ga buckshot and slugs as well as standard shot shells. Once you get the basics down, it is not a big deal.

The biggest difference from standard shell loading is most loaders will not feed shot that big. You will need to put the shot in the hull by hand. Count each pellet out as you drop them in.

I cast my own slugs as well as single ought and double ought buckshot. I do not know why anyone would want to load #4 buck. To me it is one of the more worthless shot sizes. Too small for defense, not enough individual pellet energy (IMHO).

The Lyman shotshell manual has some pretty good buckshot loads. Remember to use the data EXACTLY as printed. Substituting powders or wads can have catastrophic results.

10. billt

billt New Member

Back in the very early 70's when I lived in Illinois, we hunted geese in southern Illinois. I meet a avid goose hunter there once who used a 10 gage 3 1/2" Magnum loaded with #4 Buck. This of course was before all of the non toxic shot laws were passed, and you could hunt with lead. I saw him drop one from at least 70 yards once. That goose folded up like a cheap umbrella, and hit the ground with a "thud". It never moved a muscle. It was hit by 3 of the #4 pellets right in the breast area.

11. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Well my great grandpa hunted geese a long time ago so that is what he could of used it for

12. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

4 buck is pretty useless nowadays, waterfowl hunting requires nontoxic shot with a maximum size of T shot, reloading for waterfowl isnt cost effective by the time you purchase all the components...ie the shot buffer, nontoxic shot, heavy wads...etc. If you want to load your own field loads for skeet/trap, dove, squirrels, quail, rabbits, pheasent, ......its very cost effective.

Badshot

13. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

I wouldn't think it would be bad for Crow

14. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Or even coyote at close range

15. billt

billt New Member

Let's put it this way. If you smack an intruder with a load of #4 Buck in the confines of your average suburban home, he's not going to mimicking Kevin Bacon on "Animal House" crying...."Thank you sir, may I have another!"

16. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Ok well I hope wouldn't any way

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Well sure, if you hit him from across the room with 1 oz of #9 shot he is most likely going to expire. The problem with #4 Buck is it lacks individual pellet energy. If you only hit him with a couple of pellets, he is gonna be pissed. OO buck has MUCH more energy/pellet and much more likely to incapacitate from a less than ideal hit.

I have taken Coyotes at over 65 yards from only one pellet of OOO buck

18. billt

billt New Member

From across a living room it isn't going to matter. You're either going to hit him, or else you're going to miss. The spread of any shot load at 15 feet is only a few inches regardless of barrel length, shot size, or choke.

19. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

What we really need is someone willing to suit up in a BP vest and catch different loads, then we can get a hands on comparison........

Badshot

20. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

Well it's not going to be me I'll shoot