Reloading Problem

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by browningone, Dec 30, 2010.

1. browningone

browningone New Member

Hello out there. Pretty new to reloading but was looking for some help, very frustrated.
    I own a 7MM wsm rifle and am trying to reload once fired brass. None of the brass after I size it fits back in the chamber, even without a bullet or powder.
    I have no problem shooting factory ammo, in fact it shoots great and fits in fine.

I own a single stage Lee breech lock press. When I put the shell casing into the shell holder as it shows in the brochure, and then turn the die until it touches the shell holder it all goes wrong. I think I am doing it the way the brochure shows, which is screwing down the die until it touches the shell holder and then turning a 1/4 to 1/2 additional turn. I've tried turning it more and backing it off both to no avail.

I can put the once fired brass into the chamber before I resize the brass, but the minute I put it to the die it won't go in at all.
    The very few rounds that do fit are so tight in the chamber than I cannot close the bolt at all.
    I'm not sure if I am supposed to back the die off or screw the top of the die up or down to protect the problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. noylj

noylj Member

You raise the empty shell holder all the way to the top and then screw the sizing die (the one with the depriming pin) until it touches the shell holder. Lower the ram, turn the die down 1/2 turn, place an empty case in the shell holder, raise the ram all the way to the top. While the ram is all the way up, turn the lock ring down to lock the position.
    Check and see if it chambers. It is common for you not to be able to feed an empty case, but you don't describe that as the problem.
    If the case doesn't fit, measure the length of the case and be sure it hasn't stretched and is too long. Trim as required.
    If you still have problem, verify that the die is labeled properly and then call the manufacturer.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Place shell holder on ram

Put die in press

Run press ram all the way to the top of its stroke.

Screw the die down to just kiss the shell holder and lock it down.

Now resize case and try in rifle.

Not sure why noylj is having you turn it down further as that will do nothing but stop the press before it completed its stroke.

Try it my way and his way if it works for one and not the other then use what ever way works. Remember you can always call customer service of most reloading companies and they will give you pointers and tips.

Brass esp short mag brass doesn't stretch after one firing.

Let us know what happens.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I agree w/ Tango. But, I usually back the die off 1/8 turn on rifle cartridges. I only full length resize when there is a chance it will be used in more than 1 rifle, or it is semi auto.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So since you're shooting from the same rifle time after time, you only neck-size, right?

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It kind of sounds like the expander button is oversize or something. What dies do you have? It wouldn't hurt to check the expander button with a dial caliper. That would account for the neck being too big after resizing.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the fired and unsized case will fit in the chamber, but the resized case will not fit, I vote case length as the problem. Check case length after resizing to make sure it is w/in specs.

8. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Get some digital calipers and measure the overall length of the resized brass

I'll bet it needs to be trimmed !

9. browningone

browningone New Member

Thank you gentlemen for the help. It sounds like a case trimming issue. I appreciate the responses. Will try to use some of the input to load up some ammo after the new year's eve ball drops.

I was asked within this post if I was full length sizing or neck sizing. I am not sure what sizing I am doing to be honest. I use the Lee supplied dies that come in a red box.

I don't have any problems reloading my 7MM Mag or 300 win magnum in the same reloading press. Just my short magnum is the problem. And of course that is the unit I like the most because it is compact and extremely accurate.

10. noylj

noylj Member

For those unfamiliar:
    With a single-stage press, you can over-cam the press as I described to get an extra 0.002" or so of shoulder set-back.

If the rounds fit in the rifle without sizing, then neck sizing should be all you need and you should get a Lee Collet Sizing Die.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Robo for the win!