Reloading manuals - what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lonyaeger, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Well, I have all my equipment ordered so I can start rolling my own. Now I know I need at least two manuals to start with.

All you reloaders out there, tell me the two you would pick or have already picked. I appreciate it.

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

The 2 books I use are:

Sierra Rifle and Handgun reloading data
    and
    Speer Reloading Manual.

good topic, interested to see what the others use!

3. opaww

opaww New Member

I got Sierra and Hornady manuals

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Alright Lon out with it.. what did you order? Dillon?

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

RCBS, but now you got me thinkin' I should have gone Dillon? :eek:

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the Lyman book. It tends to have more variety of bullets and cast loads. The bullet manufacturers show loads for THEIR bullets, the powder manufacturers show loads for THEIR powders. Lyman does not have a dog in either hunt.

I like to supplement Lyman's book with the online resources from various sources (Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant, IMR, etc)

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I like the fact that Lyman is more or less objective about the whole deal, Robo.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I've used Nosler, Hornady, and Hodgdon. Bought a Lyman manual a few months ago and it is now my favorite.
    and there is LOTS of free info available online;)

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Lets see I have
    2 Sierra manuals
    Lyman
    Hornady
    Long Range Loading
    Speer
    Load map 30-06
    load map 308
    load map 45acp

I don't like the load maps as they are CHEAP reproduction of load data you can find on the web for free. My go to is my Sierra then my Hornady. Also get yourself the ABC's of Reloading. Great book and it will cut down on your phone bill.....

Lon lean on the RCBS set up and then add a dillon in a few years to it. Hey don't forget Hornady as well their LNL AP will get you 1000 free bullets when you buy it.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

11. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Lyman is my favorite manual, but I also have the new edition Hornady. I agree with Txhillbilly about the trusting of individuals loads on the net. Should I see one that looks interesting, I still go back and check the manuals.
    I use a good bit of Hodgdon Powder so I also go to the Hodgdon site for loads as well as other reliable sites.
    A forum I frequent is the Handloaders Bench. I can't seem to get registered on the Reloaders Nest but still check it out often.

12. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

i have a speer manual i read all the time and i buy the ONE BOOK / ONE CALIBER. This gives me a wide list of powders and bullets. if i want to try some thing not listed i go to the manufactures web site and start at minimums and work up from there

13. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

As others have said, Hornady. It looks to have the most variety in cartridges. I don't have one but the gunshop has some, so eventually we'll pick one up. The one we have now is a Speer and it does well enough.

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Thanks all. Based on your input, I ordered a Lyman manual and a Hornady manual. The equipment should be here this weekend and hopefully I'll find the time to build me a bench. I'll post photos when I'm done, but can't guarantee y'all will like the window treatments in the reloading room. :eek:

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Oh No,Not more of those horrible flowered drapes!
    C'mon Lon,Get the Ole Lady to spruce the place up. I'm going to have to come down there and take away your Man card. THB

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Low priority in the whole order of things, my friend!

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hereby move that Lon's man card be temporarily suspended for even using the term "window treatments".:p

18. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

+1 on robocops post

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

It's an occupational habit from being in my line of work for so long.

20. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I have the Lyman, Speer and Hornady manuals. When working up a new load, I always review all three books. If I could only have two, they would be the Lyman and the Hornady. If I could only have one it would be the Lyman book.