reloading in an unheated outbuilding

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ron12301, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

I need more room for my reloading bench, so I was thinking of moving out of the basement to the garage where I would have more space. The only thing is my garage is unheated, does anyone out there do their reloading in a similar environment ? Would I need to be concerned about rust, humidity etc.. I realize there will be a couple of months in the winter when I won't be able to do much of anything because of the cold, but I can probably work around that. I could add some space heaters, but I would be concerned that I might put myself into a low orbit by doing so. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

humidity and rust will be big concerns. lots more care will be needed to maintain your equipment and dies. storage of powder and primers in a humid environment can degrade them.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I do it. My press stays wrapped up in a plastic bag when I'm not using it with a few rust inhibiting cards and rust hasn't been a major issue but it is something you need to keep an eye out for. The dies get the same treatment and only one set started to show a little rust from where my hands were sweaty this past summer and since it was only on the outside a little fluid film took care of that.

My primer and powder gets stored in my basement in air tight cans with little moisture absorbing plastic cans just like all my ammo. The actual bullets and brass stay in my out building but that is going to change in the near future. I saw no ill side effects on either but I'm going to put them in ammo cans with my powder so everything stays together.

I would much rather have this stuff it my basement (I dream of having a garage one day...come on economy!!!) but my situation just doesn't allow it.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I do as well.

I have high humidity. I just keep them covered and keep my primers and powder is a cabinet.

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I do it as well. But no humidity here.
    I do have to adjust my dies as the temp increases or decreases to keep COAL the same, check it often.

6. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

Thanks again for the advice and help, I'll keep an eye out for rust, cover my press and store my powder and primers in a tight cabinet.

7. awahlster

awahlster New Member

You can be smart about it. First hang a double layer of visqueen plastic with about an inch in between the layers surrounding the workbench giving you enough room to work and move around. But creating as small of area as your comfortable. Then cut a slit in the layers offset about a foot to create a doorway. Allow the plastic to drape a little on the floor to help seal it.

NO smoking and make sure you have some air flow so you don't pass out.

Then buy an OIL FILLED electric heater. The type that looks like an old steam radiatior. They have NO open flame and no exposed heated elements. Yet they work VERY well.

if you don't have a ceiling in the garage you can buy a couple sheets of styrofoam insulation board 4' x 8' the 1" thick runs around $20.00 at Home depot. Put that up for a ceiling. It will help keep the heat in.

You could also use the foam board to make a quick up enclosure instead of the Visqueen plastic. It would cost a bit more but work better.

Cold does not cause rust HUMIDITY does.

Hope this helps.

8. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

Awahlster, I had thought about making a small enclosed heated space within the garage. The plastic and the styrofoam panels are an interesting idea. I believe I've seen the plastic you are talking about used on job sites. The oil filled electric heater seems like it may be the only practical option for heat. Thanks for the food for thought ! Thanks to all.