Reloading for Shotguns

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Kraj, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Kraj

Kraj New Member

Right now i reload for .44 mag, .40 and 9mm, I understand how i save money doing that. Ive started playing around with shotguns and shot a couple of boxes of clays. If im shooting 3-4 boxes of 12 gauge a month is that something i should look into reloading? or is the cost of another press and completely different components not worth the investment?

2. steve666

steve666 New Member

If nothing else you can load up some of those neat looking brass shotgun hulls.

3. mseric

mseric New Member

I load 12ga, 20ga, and 410. I can purchase 12ga trap loads for about the same as I can load them, no real savings in 12ga. 410 on the other hand is a real money saver.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The same with the 28 gauge.
    ct

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Compare quality to quality and reloading will save money even in 12 ga.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

most bluk pack stuff has real issues cycling in semi auto shotguns. bought two of the bulk boxes of winchester universal at walmart my mossberg 930 rips the rims off and my wife gets case seperation in her srm1216. switching to federal bulk and both guns work fine.

the main issue with bulk loads is the lighter weight of shot. not enough oomph to cycle actions. most semi autos work better with 1/8 to 1/4 ounce more shot than comes in bulk boxes. when you get to those shot weights your looking at HUGE money per box.

now if you start looking at costs of loading your own buck shot or slugs the cost savings are huge.

so if your duplicating cheap bulk weight for weight and cheap case for cheap case and all the issues that can go with it its not saving a lot over buying off the shelf. but if your tuning loads and start loading better shells the cost savings are immediate and huge.

go price out goose loads using BB 00buck and slug prices.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Many years ago I shot a LOT of Trap & Skeet.
    Shooting Federal paper.
    I started my reloading with a Mec.
    Then a PONSNESS WARREN.
    Consider the cost of a press,
    and EVERY THING else needed to get started.
    I enjoyed reloading and I shot enough to cover the cost.
    But, if you want to reload,
    **** the cost and enjoy.

8. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

unless your hunting in some other country i sure wouldnt be shooting bb's or 00 Buck at geese. Not with federal/state steel shot requirements.