Reloading for apartment dwellers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Medic101, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Medic101

Medic101 Member

I want to start reloading and I'm currently reading through a Lyman handbook and I'm starting to consider how/where I'm going to do it in my apartment once I get all of the knowledge and equipment i need. So who has reloaded in an apartment and how did you set up to reload in an apartment or other space limited dwelling?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure there is nothing in your lease agreement that could bite you if something happened.

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Space constraints are the big issue for most apartments. Space is premium in an apartment! It's more difficult with space being a major issue in an apartment, but if you are determined, it can be overcome and done in small places where space is premium.

Now here's something that you need to consider. Are you single, married, or have children you are sharing the apartment with? If single, then you are the only one to have to be worried about as to what you want or need in order to reload. Married, or have children, it can still be done, but you have to remember you are sharing space with others and have to consider their needs and wants as well.

Storage is the biggest issue I see for when you're not reloading and having too store all of your equipment and supplies for reloading. Difficult, but it can be done.

Many, many years ago, growing up we lived in a very large cited in an apartment for many years. My father reloaded during those years after he first go into reloading and target shooting. He stired all if his things in the hall closet, and did much of his reloading on the coffee table! It can be done if you are determined, and it's more difficult, because as I said space is premium and limited.

Fred_G likes this.
  4. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I used to own an 11 unit apt building (giant pain in the arse) and I had one guy who reloaded.
    He was worried I would find out.
    Funny, so one day, I had to get into his apt we were replacing a window AC unit.
    He was very apologetic (worried). I said, hey, no sweat, I reload, maybe we should go shooting together some day.
    I never told any of the other tennants as that would be an invasion of his privacy the way I see it.
    Anyhow.
    Here is just ONE "landlord" story for you.
    Had a middle age single liberal woman who loved her cat and her unauthorized RABBIT living with her on the 2nd floor.
    ON the third floor lived a single COP who was getting a divorce and was living with his girlfriend.
    Well, one night they are "getting it on" and the lady downstairs calls me up and says they are making too many love sounds.
    So... what the hell am I supposed to do?? Tell him to gag her and put duct tape on his mouth or what?
    People are idiots!
    OK... to your reloading in an Apt.
    I got a cheep chest of drawers that I rented to buy way back when I was getting divorced. I bolted my dillon 550 B to it. Brass, Bullets in the drawers weigh it down so I can use. later I added the plywood to make a bigger work bench. this is in a 11 x 10 bedroom in my home now.
    man cave.jpeg Man cave DIES.jpg
    that's a cheap IKEA cabinet that has the conversion tool heads in it.

5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard of people using a fold up work bench IMG_20190612_201019.jpg

Fred_G likes this.
  6. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I have a setup similar to this, with Inline Fabrication quick mount plates that I take to the range with me sometimes. Works well and stores flat. Easy to transport. I have most of my gear on quick mounts so I can switch back and forth easily.

EDIT: One bonus is that with the quick mount plates you can mount a shooting stand and have it double as a portable shooting bench.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

24 inch high wooden stool. $16.37 at Walmart. Add boards across the two braces for 2 shelves for dies, books. Bolt press to top of stool. Room for scale and powder measure beside press. When you are not using, pick the whole thing up and move it out of the way.

Fred_G and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Medic101

Medic101 Member

I consider myself fairly handy. I'm considering building my own bench so I can taylor the size to my available space and add small shelves to my liking.

Caveman Jim, Gatoragn and Rifling82 like this.
  9. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

One of the famous brands of reloading gear makes a clamp-on mount that takes all the usual bits and pieces...it holds on to any FIRM surface with a C-clamp or two.

10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Here are 25 different style benches that you can draw ideas from for yours.

http://reloadingpresso.com/reloading-bench-plans-designs/

11. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

When i lived in an apartment i used a couple Lee Classic Loaders & the Lee Hand Press for calibers that the classic loader wasn't available in. LeeClassicLoaderKit.jpg HL-sizing.jpg

For storage, i kept most of it in a kitchen cabinet. Add in a small powder scale & this setup doesn't take up hardly any room at all.

tac foley likes this.
  12. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

The exercise is also very good for you.