Reloading for .500 S&W, .45ACP, .44Mag

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hello everyone,

Having been shooting for a few years and recently getting into the .500 S&W, I'm considering starting reloading. My main calibers are .45ACP, followed by .44 Mag and S&W 500. I'm looking for an equipment checklist, especially what equipment can be re-used for all 3 calibers and what is caliber specific. Let's say my budget for all the equipment (including scale) is $1000. I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    2AF

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would be looking for a single stage press, a balance beam scale and a powder measure. RCBS makes all three and is a great brand. You will need dies for each caliber. You will also need a caliper. Buy a reloading book too. And read it!

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

4. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Down the road I'd probably be interested in doing .308 so I wouldn't want to limit myself to handguns only. What do you guys think of the RCBS 2000?
    And yeah I'll definitely get a book, probably even before I get the equipment :)

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you stay with Dillon Products you will be pleased. Just check out the Dillon 550 Progressive.:)

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not to talk smack about the RCBS 2000, but the only progressive I would consider is DILLON!

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The Dillon 550 is a great machine. Don't believe the square deal will do 500 s&w. I have the 550 now and had a square deal. I like the 550 manual indexing, didn't think I would but it makes things so much easier when something bad happens. The manual indexing is handier to use the press as a single stage when experimenting with new loads.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Their warranty is fantastic. I have a 450 Dillon I bought in 1980. They continue to this day a 100% no argument supply of replacement parts. How do they do that?:)

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have no problem with Dillon.

But I would advise a single stage press for starters. I started with a progressive and I rather wish I didn't. I like feeling like I'm in absolute control of every single round.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.