reloading dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mule06, Jan 24, 2013.

1. mule06

mule06 New Member

So I'm new to reloading I got a lee three die set what one is the neck sizer? As both my dies are marking on the cases below the shoulder

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Are you sure one is a neck sizer and not a crimping die? Lee neck sizers are of the collet variety. Screw the die apart, if it has a collet, that's it.
    CT

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A sizing die will have a decapping rod and neck expander. Makes no difference FL or NS only.

4. mule06

mule06 New Member

Ok what I have is a decapper then a full size die w decapper then a short die w no decapper

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Caliber? Perhaps a Lee part number so we can help sort it out.

6. mule06

mule06 New Member

Its a 243 I was told that to neck size a case fired in my gun would give me a more acurate load

7. robocop10mm

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If you have the Pacesetter dies,you don't have a neck sizing die.It comes with a full length sizing die,bullet seating die,and a factory crimp die.
    But,If you have the Deluxe dies,you should have a full length sizing die,a neck sizing die,and the bullet seating die.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I have three Rcbs dies for my 40, the first die rounds out the brass and deprimes. The second one opens the neck to allow the bullet to fit inside the brass case and the third die seats the bullet and crimps the case around the bullet. I'm new to reloading but this how it was explained to me. I havent actually loaded and bullets yet but I hope this works for you.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Crazyhorse, That is two different issues. Your 3 die set is for a straight wall pistol Ctg. We are talking about a bottle necked rifle round. The 2 are not the same.:)

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Pistol dies are different than rifle dies.

Yes neck sizing a fired case will make a round that is better tuned to your rifle. Also when you full length size you push the shoulder back a little and that causes the case to stretch a little. The less you full length size the less you will have to trim. And the longer your brass will last.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That maybe so however some actions spring just a little. Semiautos lack support thru the cycle. You will need to FL size this brass. Most semiautos require an SB Die {small base}.:)

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

semi autos

That is another reason I don't care for semi autos in rifles or shotguns. They are just too hard on the cases for reloading (if you can even find all of them after shooting). All of my rifles are either Ruger single shots or bolt actions. My shot guns are side by sides and O/U's. I do have a pump Model 12 Winchester 28 gauge and a Winchester Model 42 .410.
    CT

14. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Most chambers do NOT require Small Base Dies.

^^^Small base dies, in general, are a "Fix" for a problem that's not there.
    Very tight "Match" chambers MAY cycle more reliably with SB dies??

If you have a QUALITY Full Length size die, adjusted properly (1/4 to 1/2 turn "Over Cam" of the press), you will not need SB dies.

NATO chambered rifles (5.56/7.62) will NOT be bettered with a Small Base Size Die...Bill.;):D;)

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Billybob, your post is well?:rolleyes: Hey Cotton you own a Winchester Mdl. 42? Damn now that is one class shotgun. Which grade?:D

16. robocop10mm

That is one opinion. Many people have a very different opinion. I FL size most rifle cases, even for semi-autos. I use the Dillon sizer (SB) for 5.56 partially because my old FL RCBS die was hopelessly scratched and I needed a new die. Dillon was available.

I had a Mini-14 MANY years ago that required SB sizing for anything close to reliable functioning. Even then, it sucked and was traded off.

17. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Thanks for the reply robo..

Thanks for the input robo--you know, I have been away from this Forum for a little while+just thought that I would "Stir some Sheet" HA HA..

I have/and used to use a RCBS Small Base Size Die in .223. After some testing on my/others .223/5.56 chambers, have found that my Redding Full Length Size Die does exactly the same job.-He** my SB die may have some rust on it by now?? Don't know? I haven't had it out for "Awhile"??
    Heck, send your RCBS FL die back for replacement.. I would venture to say that your Dillon Size Die is not Small Base-All that I have seen have a large radius to be used on a progressive press?? Not really sure on that-I do not have Dillon .223/5.56 dies.
    I use Dillon Dies on all my common hand gun calibers, and Redding or RCBS on all of my rifle loads.
    Thanks again, robo for your reply, and I DO know what "Opinions" are like:rolleyes:HA HA...Bill.

PS: Don't blame you a bit for trading off the Mini-14...THAT'S one hard weapon to load for reliably...;):D

18. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

My experience differs from this... I am new to reloading, but read a bunch before attempting to load .223 rounds. I "properly adjusted" my RCBS dies to 1/8-1/4(per instructions) turn over cam. The rounds were reliable and accurate. I then purchased a case length gauge and found that my shoulders had been pushed back too far(out of spec!). The gauge's instructions recommended I toss the brass. In order to properly headspace my brass the die needed to barely touch the shell holder at the top of the pull. My rifle is chambered in 5.56 and still shoots reliably with the new adjustment.

My theory: Tight chambered semi auto's may need a small base die. In spec 5.56 chambers should not require them. If you are on the fence about which to buy, get the FL as this will work your brass less. If your gun is not reliable with the fl dies, 1. Sell them to fund he SB dies, or 2. Buy something with an in spec chamber.

Just a greenhorn's opinion after loading a whopping 500 rounds. And no, I didn't toss the 200 out of spec brass. I'm going to shoot them back into spec and do it right next time.

19. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Semi-auto or Bolt Gun??

Your theory, CT, is spot on. Where we come into some issues is if the ammo is to be fired in multi guns-not just one particular weapon.
    Most seasoned hand loaders have tailored brass to their specific rifle. This is easiest done in a bolt gun. Back off of your FL size die, and just turn in about 1/8 of a turn at a time, until the bolt just closes easily. Then crank down the lock ring/retainer screw, and your brass is perfect for THAT rifle.

Probably 75-80% of all .223/5.56 ammo is fired in semi-auto weapons, and not bolt guns. With this in mind, most of this caliber is "Undersized" to fit multi weapons.

A hand loader can size to JUST fit the chamber on HIS rifle for the most accuracy, but this usually leads to problems as the weapon warms up/gets dirty. For ME, that's why I usually get a little more "Aggressive" on my sizing operation.

This is why I separate my .223 brass that I shoot in a semi-auto from .223 brass that I shoot in my bolt guns.;):D..Bill.

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I usually just use my FL die to neck size, I adjust it so it only sizes the neck.. 7.7x58 is the only caliber I have a actual NS die for (Just because I got it cheap, and I use '06 to make my 7.7.)

The only Caliber I need a SB die is for 9mm, and thats for a revolver... ;)