Firearms Talk banner

521 - 532 of 532 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
We are starting the process of selling and buying a house. My shop is packed up. I am really looking forward to designing a completely new shop and loading bench. Hoping i will have enough room to spread the presses and cleaning eqipment out into permanent stations.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Fluorescent
Affect your electronic scale any? I've always heard to avoid them; especially plugged into the same circuit as your scale. LEDs are so cheap these days, thats the way I went.

Curious; how do you store your powder; I don't see it anywhere?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Affect your electronic scale any? I've always heard to avoid them; especially plugged into the same circuit as your scale. LEDs are so cheap these days, thats the way I went.

No it doesn’t effect my scale. I check occasionally calibration wise and weigh bullets, don’t believe everything you hear or read. i store my powder in my clothes closet on the top shelf

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's the bench my son and I built. Yes, the hutch is made from 2x10's. A 2x10x8 was $7 cheaper than a 1x10x8...go figure. It's massive, but it sure is strong. Can add shelves as needed. That's the little home made vibratory trickler I made the other day sitting there on the left.

No powder, electronic scale, or loaded ammo stored down here, I don't want any problems from humidity until I can get a dehumidifier running.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Yeah, I'm done with fluorescent lights, they hate the cold. I buy those cheap LED ones on Amazon (basically LED strip lights taped inside plastic tubes). Extremely light weight, the entire light fixture weighs ounces. They are plenty bright and best of all, they work year round. I have some out in the barn that are several years old and still going strong.

In fact, the ones you see in the picture of my bench above are the ones I use. Got a 4-pack of them on Amazon for $41.99. I originally only hung the two over the middle of the bench, but because they were in front of the press I had shadows on the press ram area, so I just went ahead and hung the other two over the back, no more shadows and they're not so bright it hurts the eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Here's the bench my son and I built. Yes, the hutch is made from 2x10's. A 2x10x8 was $7 cheaper than a 1x10x8...go figure. It's massive, but it sure is strong. Can add shelves as needed. That's the little home made vibratory trickler I made the other day sitting there on the left.

No powder, electronic scale, or loaded ammo stored down here, I don't want any problems from humidity until I can get a dehumidifier running.

View attachment 240397
Soooo cleeaannnn! No extra holes drilled in the top, nothing spilled on it... so nice.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Nice sturdy looking bench.
I'm about to repurpose an older workbench for reloading. I"ve put it on wheels since it stays in the garage and space is at a premium for me.
It's solid but needs a hutch for storage as well. I will put drawers and/or doors on the hutch to keep everything neat.
The price of lumber is crazy now. I don't know if that will ever come down to a reasonable rate.
I guess with the current price and shortage of reloading materials there is no reason for me to rush to complete it.
I plan to put a few outlets on the bench as well for the tumbler and ultrasonic cleaner.
I see you have the Lee bench primer. I bought one for the bench but haven't used it yet.
I have some arthritis issues so I didn't want the hand primer, and didn't want to use the press for priming either.
Reloading is new to me and pictures like those of your bench is inspiring.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like the bench primer so far. I think it gives just the right amount of leverage so it's easy, but you still maintain a good feel. That quick change bench plate system works well too and is a good value in my opinion at $29.99. Extra base plates and mounting hardware are only $12.99 to put onto another tool you want to mount. Only change I'm going to make is to replace the 4 phillips head screws used to hold the tool base with hand knob screws so I won't need to use a screw driver to swap tools. I looked at making my own plate system, but for the cost of materials, I couldn't beat the Lee.

I run my tumbler on the floor, but if you look under my bench there is a shelf (set back from the front for foot room). That's where I store the tumbler and other bulky stuff. The hutch back is a sheet of that 3mm luan ply (they call it underlayment now)...crap used to be $6.99 a sheet, but it's now $15 and some change. There is 1/2" plywood on the back of the bottom shelf (a piece left over from making the bottom shelf). The frame is made of 2x4's, but double width all the way around and 2 of them for each leg. The top is a sheet of 3/4" ply that has a thin layer of resin impregnated MDF on both sides. It is commonly used for concrete forms and is resuable for that. I bought 3 sheets of it about 6 years ago to put new decking on my race boat trailer but didn't need the third sheet. Came in handy for this. Where the bench plate mounts, I also glued and screwed in a couple of pieces of 2x4 horizontally between the front to back stringers so the entire base plate is mounted on solid 2x4 with 3/8x4" bolts. There is zero flex or movement when operating the press. Can't weigh it, but I bet the entire bench with the hutch is 300+ lbs. It's 81" wide and 34" deep. I almost went with 2x12's for the shelves, but they were $8 more for a 2x12x8 than the 2x10x8's. Didn't think it was worth the extra cost for another 1.75" of shelf depth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well after many years of doing my gun work and reloading in the garage, a spare bedroom and the kitchen table, i bought a 10x14 storage shed earlier this year and am slowly turning it into what i want for reloading and working on guns. still a work in progress. but here it is as of now.
That does it. I'm jealous. I have to up my game. You have a great, great setup.

521 - 532 of 532 Posts