Reloading Bench Photos

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Olympus, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

205A9B67-7079-4CA0-83AF-B6896CBC8EB8.jpeg Yea there’s always a messy part of the operation. My casting and lubing area in the garage. And this is right after being tidied up a bit.

2. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Looks like you have everything you need but I have to be honest here. I would be ready for a straight jacket and rubber room working in such tight quarters. Just sitting here remembering when I had my dies in boxes still (switched to drawers a couple of years ago) and how every time I reached for a set; the set I wanted was at the bottom of the stack. Going back to that might send me over the edge these days. My reloading room has been a multi-year project of constant reorganization and I am still always on the lookout for ways to make better use of space. I can tell you though; every time I made even the smallest of changes that neatened up things it would have me grinning for days. Once you start it's hard to stop though.

OLD Ron likes this.

3. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I slipped up a bit when I added my gun rescue things in with reloading things . I do the casting ..... sanding ..... powder coating all in another area . The assembly & drying goes on in the rescue room so as to keep things clean . I have around 70 ammo cans of loaded rounds & brass I keep in another area . Once I remove some of the extra treasures I have around the space it will be better used once again . Restoration has so many processes to it that it all can't be done in one space without making a mess of everything . I am real happy that I loaded so much a couple of years that I can still shoot & not run out of ammunition . That gives me time to work at blueing ...... checkering ...... & building some long guns I always wanted to shoot . For many years all I did was reload & shoot . ( was all I had time for ) Now I am into the craft of rescue . ( and shooting ) I don't go to meets any longer so that has freed up time to learn . It is all fun & very interesting .

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

My biggest Thumler can clean 1,000 9mm cases...:eek::eek::eek:
    I wasn't really thinking, I was going to fill it about half of the 1,000 bag and kept filling till it was empty. My SIL was taking a video about how I do things in my shop, as I was filling it I was talking like Scotty off star trek, She's gonna take it all Captain!!! Funny as all get out.... :p:p:p

Zoom in on the blue label on the baggie...:eek:

D47C0565-8FD2-47D3-95FA-71B82A749846.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    OLD Ron and Oldoutlaw like this.
  5. Caveman Jim

On another note, I believe that I have come to the end of the road with construction in
    "The Room"
    The last entry on the list was cabinets for the North wall. I had been looking for quite a while for just the right setup and 2 weeks ago I went by a garage sale and THERE THEY WERE!!!
    And free to boot!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I need to rearrange the lights close to them but should be a quick fix.;)

E1DC4E5D-8D46-4946-A36C-F14EC47C0723.jpeg

6. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite piece of gear is my vise. After spraying holes into his vinyl siding, my neighbor put his power washer on the curb for the trash guy. I picked up the washer, then traded for the vise. I went to work restoring; scrubbing, cleaning, wire wheeling, and painting, and I have a "free" legit HD vise.

My bucks are by no means records, but they both came off heavily hunted public land, so are trophies in that sense. Just legit, really good memories, and really good hunts in those deer.

The workbench, I made in my garage. The wallshelf and mat were curbside picks. The clock and magnifier garage sale finds. The recliner, a hand-me-down from my father-in-law. My LED light was a reworked hand-me-down. My toolbox was $20 from a local buy-sell-trade group. My turret head holder is made of a pallet I broke down, and some dowel rod.

Not fancy, but functional. 20200609_231949.jpg

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

Very nice ................... and the bucks are both beautiful.

Shopfox likes this.
  8. Shopfox

Thanks!

oO_Rogue_Oo and Oldoutlaw like this.
  9. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

That's not a reloading room....it's a reloading "lab". Nicely done.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Shopfox, I have a question.

I am in the planning stages of a compact reloading area that will live in a cabinet in my garage. I have been wondering how to put everything away when not using it. I see you have mounted some equipment to boards and have it fastened to the bench with some type of turn knobs.
    Is that strong enough to keep the press stable? It looks like it will do what I want and I was hoping that it works as well as it looks.
    Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  11. Caveman Jim

You and I are alike, all the cabinets, uppers, lowers and the bench top in my room were free (except for fuel to go get them). I have a knack to find deals.;)

Shopfox likes this.
  12. Shopfox

Hats off, you are the better picker! Your setup looks like a modern kitchen (I say that in a good way)!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

Several options for what you are looking for. Inlinefab makes a quick mount that works very well and is very stable. Lee also makes a mount that works well. And if you're in the mood to fab yourself you can use doubles sheets of 1/2" plywood and have more than enough rigidity.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

https://leeprecision.com/bench-plate.html

Caveman Jim likes this.
  14. Shopfox

I drilled a series of equally spaced holes along the front and side of my workbench. The knobs have a nut inside of them that work well (Hillman replacement knobs from Lowe's ~3.00 each). It lets me reposition pretty easily, and set my reloading gear off to the side/out of the way when I need my bench space for other projects.

When I have the gear in storage, hand tight is fine. If reloading, I usually use a wrench to keep the head of the bolt from turning while I tighten. I used plywood because it's what I had on hand for the press base. It's sufficient enough (minimal flex), that I haven't felt compelled to put a better base under it. The base being used for my press was originally my jig for establishing hole spacing when drilling the benchtop (hence the extra holes on my base).

I really like the benchtop holes though. They come in handy if you ever want to do a bench dog system where you have an under-the-table woodworkers vise. The tongue of the vise slides up, you put a peg in one of the holes, then can tighten the part between the tongue and peg. You can also use the holes for hold-downs.

For reloading, it gives me flexibility to move gear around easily/reconfigure easily.
    20200611_101750.jpg 20200611_101556.jpg 20200611_101619.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    G66enigma and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. oO_Rogue_Oo

Shopfox likes this.
  16. bama1965

bama1965 Member

Please show pics of your Shotshell loading setups. Have a 12 GA. Steelmaster and a 20 GA. Mark Jr. Am thinking about adding a 28 GA. Sizemaster. My Steelmaster is set up to load 1 oz. Lead shot. All loading is for sporting clays and trap shooting.

17. Caveman Jim

I jumped on the Inline fabrication bandwagon recently with the 7 1/2 Ultra Jr. base mount and two plates, one for the newly rebuilt Pro 1000 and the classic Turret. I was able to get a blank plat from a PIF on another gun board. It’s gonna clean up my loading area nicely (like it needs it right)... It’s getting there.;)

I haven’t removed the other handmade riser yet because I’m still loading 223/556 on the turret and getting ready to convert the Pro1000 from 300BLK to dedicate it to just 40S&W with a bullet and case feeder.
    And you can see the lights I got from them too...:D

82281D94-6A00-4103-A4A1-9EF12E25797F.jpeg

0E94EDDA-06E7-4A3B-A8AF-9BFDEDF5A6CE.jpeg

Almost forgot about the bench mount that I’ll use for the blank and a small vice.:D

30C746CC-57D5-4AD8-8775-450ECB5AD5A3.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    OLD Ron, oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  18. oO_Rogue_Oo

I flush mounted two bench mounts; one on each of my benches. Just used a router to flush mount them. This way nothing catches on them moving things around the bench. Then got top plates for ALL of my equipment LOL. Vices, trimmer, cutoff saws, Dremel mini drill press, etc. Love my Inline Fab mounts; a little pricey but makes life so easy.

I load with a rock Chucker for all my pistol ammo and a Co-Ax for most of the rifle ammo. I converted the Rock Chucker to use Hornady Lock N Load bushing. Save a bunch of time setting up and makes switching from sizing to seating etc a couple of seconds task. Same with caliber change overs. I've thought about lights but just haven't quite gotten around to them yet. How do you like them?

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  19. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

My disadvantage with my new setup is that my shop is a separate building which, though air conditioned, is not kept cool except when in use, so powders and primers are not stored there.
    783821C8-CD6A-49AA-8DDF-84E4C1BF9CFE.jpeg 87C4C35E-3CF0-40D7-AC81-277EBD51E287.jpeg

20. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Here's mine complete with idiot Red Cattle dog who feels it's his duty to be a serial pest when I'm in the room reloading.

reloading bench.1.jpg

reloading bench.2.jpg

RKB, G66enigma, AgedWarrior and 2 others like this.