Reloading Bench Photos

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Olympus, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Started loading pistol ammo a year and a half ago...doing 300AAC now and loving it. Very therapeutic time in my garage and something I will continue for a very long time

Attached Files:

Caveman Jim and ebiss9 like this.
  2. Unclefudd

Unclefudd Active Member Supporter

In all the countless rifle and pistol rounds I have loaded, I have never found it necessary to anneal any of my brass and some of it has been loaded multiple times. They do wear out and I have to throw some away. And just as Mouser and others have said, it is not only fun but therapeutic and a challenge.
    I have a LOT of rifles in calibers from 22 to 45-70 and load for every one of them. I do not remember the last time I bought ammo other than 22.
    i enjoy taking a particular bullet and working with it to see how accurate I can make it and what components it likes best to make it so out of a particular rifle or pistol.
    Amazing what can be done with an over the counter rifle when ya get the loads right. Fun and rewarding to see Ruger M-77s and Savage 110s and even a Browning mod81 lever gun in 7mm08 shoot bug holes at 100 yds. And that has to take into consideration that I am a shaky, old fart trying to make it happen.
    NOTHING like reloading for enjoyment, and concentration.
    Would be a blast to get a bunch of the folks here gathered some place to visit, get acquainted and share war stories about loading. But if this forum is as close as we can get, I'll take it all day every day.

Thanks to all.

UF

Caveman Jim and ebiss9 like this.

3. Kobs

Kobs Member

This is my safe place :p Reloading, tools, gun cleaning, and unfortunately laundry room lol
    But I have a dehumidifier keeping the whole basement at 35% so it's all good
    Gun room recent.JPG

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Here is my setup. Added 2 new manuals since.
    DSCF8181.JPG
    DSCF8182.JPG
    DSCF8183.JPG

Caveman Jim, Mouser and Rifling82 like this.
  5. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

My reloading / gun room. The drawer organizers are for my dies. I finally got tired of everytime I wanted a die they were on the bottom of the stack so I put the die boxes away and went to drawers. The drawers hold dies, shellholders, case gauges, trimmers, etc; putting everything I need for a caliber in one place. The stainless doors on the cabinets are great for recording what I'm working on and where I am in the process (with a grease pencil). Ammo storage under the bench. The room is small and it's a little tight so I'm always looking for ways to get more organized and save / better use space.

Attached Files:

Caveman Jim and PaBushMan like this.
  6. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

Man cave DIES.jpg my man cave man cave.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Caveman Jim and PaBushMan like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Nice organization skills brother.;)
    Love the set-up you have!!! As far as "more organized" from my view I would think that to be impossible.:eek::D:p

I am halfway through with my new 10x12 gun / reloading room and need to get the bench & assembly table built. I'm still procrastinating on whether to build the bench out of 4x4, 2x6 & 2x4 or use some reclaimed cabinets I've accumulated. I've got the metal lockers secured to the wall top & bottom (I'm in an earthquake region) and the safe bolted to concrete, the should not move, EVER.:D Temporary build table for now.
    Decisions decisions...:p
    20190309_170707_001.jpg
    Yep, she's the Colonial 50.;)
    20190130_120201.jpg

8. oO_Rogue_Oo

Those cabinets should give you plenty of enclosed storage and being all the same size give you a nice big shelf on top. I would add a wall mounted shelf above that for an additional storage. When deciding how you want to do your bench, a few things to keep in mind. There never seems to be enough bench top space. At times you'll be working on multiple projects and you won't want to have to put one away to be able to work on the other. More bench top is generally the answer. Maximize under bench space; it is great out of the way storage. Drawers; there are never enough drawers.

Good luck with your design. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, not sure if your lights are LED or florescent. If they are florescent, change them out. They will reak havoc on your electronic gear. LED is the way to go and it's pretty cheap these days.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  9. Caveman Jim

My thoughts too, benchtop space is at a premium, I should have built it 16'x20'... lol
    I have the entire back wall for the reloading bench with 3 presses, 6' on the right for an assembly/maint table or a surplus desk (HD).
    Also entertainedhaving a rollaway tool chest under the bench for an extra table top.

Thanks for the encouragement.

10. oO_Rogue_Oo

So what I did was two 6' benches. The idea being one for reloading and one for gun work. That went out the window pretty quick and what I ended up with was Inline Fabrication quick mounting plates for all my major equipment. That way I could set up any of my equipment on either bench at anytime without it taking any time. It also meant I could either work on guns, or reload on both benches at once. I also bought a roll away that lives under one of my benches that gives me decent drawer space and additional bench top space for things like tumbling brass, annealing etc.

A grease pencil comes in handy with those metal cabinets for recording what you're doing at the moment. For instance when I start a reloading session I'll open my log and write the recipe on one of my cabinets so it's handy. Powder number of grains; COL, everything I might need. I sometimes will load for several days at a time and it's handy to have all that information at the ready when you come back the second or third day of reloading and are double checking before starting back up. I also use a grease pencil to record when I ordered what part and from whom. Just handy reminders for all sorts of different things. WHen I'm done a little windex and it's all cleaned up.

OLD Ron and Caveman Jim like this.
  11. Caveman Jim

It's uncanny that we're thinking along the same lines oh, I've done so much research on the layout, materials & LED lights (they are auto stsrt & shutoff) since im so absent minded about turning off lights....
    I have a 4x8 sheet of thin marker board (like classrooms) that will be placed in strategic places once I figure out where.

Thanks for the insight.

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  12. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

After seeing what you guys have for gun rooms ...... Tells me I have a long ways to go . rescue room.JPG

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. Caveman Jim

If your area works for you then that's all that matters, I had my setup on my outfeed table & got tired of trying to heat a 30'x24' room out in the shop.;)

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. OLD Ron

In that small room Jim I take guns apart & assemble & reload . In another room I do buffing & welding . Another room small buffing & plating . Then at shop 2 in the summer I do media blasting & hot blueing . It would be nice to have it all under on roof . Maybe one day it will . Until then just make due with what I have & try to make it better .

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  15. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

My little gun room I've got framed up ain't nothin compared to you guys.... But, the 16x20 room will be nice once the kids are grown and gone

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. Caveman Jim

I've never been comfortable with the thought of reloading in a house but always considered the shop being a safe bet which is away from people.
    Just me though.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Caveman Jim

In all reality I doubt that I will be cleaning brass in my room oh, I just don't want all the mess because I still use corn cob media in my two Thumblers. I have plenty of room in my woodworking shop to make dust and man glitter.

439244-6a3ae0ddd41cd3735922dbbce2936423.jpg

OLD Ron likes this.
  18. OLD Ron

My shop has wandered to the whole house , garage , basement , shed , bigger garage & a semi trailer . And still not enough room . The dream is for a 60 x 100 building . That should look like a mall if I ever get it done .

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  19. oO_Rogue_Oo

A white board is nice but I have so little free wall space that I just write on the cabinet doors :)
    I've covered just about every spare inch of wall space with some kind of shelving LOL
    On my stainless doors I found that a grease pencil works better than dry erase markers; YMMV.

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  20. OLD Ron

I found that the only way to keep a shop cleaned is ...... not to work in it .:p

misser, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.