Reloading ammo for a newbie

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by rhyno13, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I am thinking about getting into reloading my own ammo, and really don't have any idea where to start or get information on what equip. I need and what is good and what to avoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. racer_x

racer_x New Member

check out utube theres a bunch of vids just for us.

im in the same boat i wana get into it too

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Buy a reloading manuel (or 2) and read it cover to cover before you even buy equipment.

4. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

For me I'm new to reloading and all of my spare time is going to it so I'm still eating up any and all info I can. My best advice for a newbie is since Christmas is comming get you a list together soon your running out of time I've already got mine in .one on my list is a spotting scope man I'm wearing out my 4 wheller checking targets. Do a lot of research before you buy a setup . I bought the Lee master loader but I wish I would of spent the $ on a better quality like RCBS . Have fun always start low and work up . Oh and you don't have to have a progressive , I have one and use it as a single stage press .

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Step 1- go buy a copy of of The ABCs of Reloading. Read it before you buy anything.

6. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

If you knw somebody that reload before you do anything ask can u watch him do it one day and talk you thru the steps to see if you'd really like to do it

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Fixed it for you. There's some scary people out there who shouldn't be passing on their skills.
    On this same line, check your local gun stores and maybe the local gun club for classes. I know our local Sportsman's Warehouse offers classes, or at least they did (haven't really noticed lately).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

get a copy of the Lyman reloading manual.

That's the manual I used as a text book when I taught reloading classes, and I still consider it the best for a new reloader.:)

9. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Reloading classes now where would one find those offerd?

10. -06

-06 New Member

Repeat after me---reloading is not habit forming--LOL. Have injured my rotator cuff and have not reloaded for several months till a couple nights ago. Uncovered the Forester Co-Ax and used it with my left hand/arm. Worked fine and loaded 40 '06s that I had clean/primed.
    For the "newbie", find a methodical mentor who does things right. Purchase two manuals, study them, work with your mentor some, load some on his presses/tools, and then go. Soon you will be "going to town" loading. I ALWAYS check my powder levels prior to seating boolits and use "loading blocks" (wood or plastic trays) to hold them securely. Soon you will learn about aggravating crimped primer pockets, Berdan primers, small primered 45s, and some other little oddities that make loading interesting--lol. I admin at handloadersbench and you can find a myriad of answers under the search feature. Enjoy your new hobby and prepare for learning to cast your own boolits later on for greater savings. Lots to learn but good and fun stuff. And remember, you can quit anytime you want----bwaaa bwaaaa.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

#1 read the stickies

#2 buy and read at least one loading manual cover to cover. ABC's of reloading or Lyman's #49

#3 Make a friend who reloads. He will come in handy. You can trade components and help explain the parts of the book you do not understand.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Absolutely. There's no substitute for a hands-on "instructor."

The man who taught me shot NRA bullseye, IPSC, and PPC. He cast his own bullets as well.

Consequently, after the first 6 months, I actually knew more than a lot of folks who had been reloading for 10 years.

Ya can't beat "hands on" instruction.