Reloading 7.62x54r

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Patriot98, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

What powder is best for reloading the 7.62x54r?

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

You might have better luck if you post this in the reloading section.

Also, 7.62x54R is not something that is normally reloaded. It's actually cheaper to buy the steel case milsurp ammo than it is to reload brass ammo, so not too many people reload for it. There are recipes out there for a good x54R load though.

4. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

I didn't mean to put this in the club house ops.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its moved.

I load for that round.

Its easier to buy winchester whitebox in that caliber for the loadable brass than buy it in the raw. I use a couple of powders win748 works decent as does varget. Pretty much any powder that works for 308/30-06 works in x54r.

my dies are rcbs ones as they come with both 308 and 311 expanders. Your real issue, if your rifle(s) arent tight enough bored to shoot 308 bullets is going to be finding decent .311 bullets. They just dont exist in bulk volumes. There are lots of light 123grain x39 .311 bullets but those really suck in a x54r rifle.

The latest hornady manual lists loads for it as does sierra

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I really like IMR4064, works well. I also use rcbs dies. For bullets, Speer makes 150gr sp and 180gr rn., Hornady makes a 150gr interlock. Privi Partisan makes decent 150gr sp bullets. I have not tried the .311 yet from them. Graf carries all of them.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

except when im placing an order... heh

8. res45

res45 New Member

IMR-4895 and Reloader #15 are both good powder that work well with jacketed bullet weight from 125 up to 180 grs. bullets. Powders like Varget,IMR-4064 & 4350 also work in the 54r. There may be other powder mentioned in other reloading manuals not listed in mine that may work just as well but pretty much any powder that works well in the 06 and 308 will work in the 54r.

The Russian shot up a bunch of American supplied 4895 during WWII in there 54r ammo. I like Reloader #15 in my M44 my brother likes IMR-4064 in his 91/30 ex-sniper. Both our rifles have .312" groove bores and shoot the .311" dia. jacketed bullets best. We both also shoot gas check cast lead bullets that I cast for our rifles Alliant 2400 is our powder of choice for those.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Georgia Arms usually has ballistic tip bullets and all sorts of drool worthy stuff for the 7.62 x 54r. They are sold out of everything but primers.

10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

@patriot98 If you are just trying to get ammo for hunting season the 203 gr SP Brown Bear shoots mighty good. If your rifle is up to snuff you can expect very good results from Brown Bear. Sellier & Bellot shoots very well and you can save a little more brass. Sellier & Bellot only offers 180 gr sp ammo.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use BL-C(2). It is quite consistant. I use a .309 gas checked 150 grain bullet that I cast myself. But I size them through my .311 sizer die. It locks the gas checks on really well. If I remember correctly they mold a little big anyway. It makes for some really nice range ammo though.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you'll find 4985 to be one of the best.

With the long firing pin, and heavy firing pin spring, I would also suggest a MiSpec primer like Remington 9 1/2, or the CCI equivalent.

13. res45

res45 New Member

14. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

I did pick up some hunting ammo for my M91-30 it was wolf gold 180gr its boxer primed brass cased ammo. Has any one reloaded wolf gold ammo?

15. Patriot98

Patriot98 New Member

I have heard of some people loading subsonic. They would use 11.0 gr of trailboss. What are your guys thoughts about doing that?

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Subsonic rifle rounds are typically for suppressor use. There is a real danger of detonation if no case filler is used and there is a real likely possibility of tumbling as it leaves the muzzle.

Unless your running suppressed there is no real need for taking your rifle down to the power level of a weak 38 special.

17. res45

res45 New Member

Wolf Gold Line ammo is made by Prvi Partizan,Wolf is just an ammo importer and contracts out all there ammo to various mfg. As far as your question goes if its brass case and boxer primed yes you can reload it.

There are some truths and some myths to what JonM is saying,however you have to take several things into consideration when developing subsonic rds. choices as to the powder and bullet type as well as case prep and philosophy of need and use all come into play.

I shoot sub-sonic rds. in all my centerfire rifles (cast bullets) one because there accurate,quiet,cheap to make and shoot and it gives me/you the ability to turn one rifle into a multi use weapon for taking anything from small to large game when you may find yourself limited to just one rifle or only rifles in 30 cal. or larger.

As far as suppressors go I don't own one or have a need for one since my sub-sonice cast bullet loads barely break the 950 fps. range in all my rifles,plus lead and suppressors don't work well together. They are useful if you want to quiet the report down further and are using jacketed bullets. For the sake of discussion without getting into lots of detail shooting pistol velocity loads with shotgun/pistol powders in rifles longer barrel basically acts as the suppressor absorbing both the bullets velocity due to friction and pressure decreasing more rapidly in the longer barrel,this also cools the hot gases as they expand and decline more rapidly in the longer barrel rifle.

Powder wise I use fast to med-fast burning shotgun/pistol powders these can be used in low volume with many 30 cal. rifles calibers with a a variety of bullet weights. They also ignite very easily and require no filler as long as you work within the safe load density range. The real problem of detonation or SEE Secondary Explosive Effect and most notable Hangfire comes when you go below a safe load density with a given powder.

For all my sub-sonic load in 7.62 x 39 and 54r,30-30 and 300 Sav. I use one bullet and one powder this bullet as well as the powder can also be use in 06 and 308 cartridges with equal results. For powder In all these cartridge case I use Bullseye it readily ignites with no issues in large capacity cases with standard or magnum primers if you so desire to use those,these loads need no filler. For the x39,case you can start at 2.7 grs. and go up to 3.0 grs. in all the other cases mentioned you can start with 3.0 grs. and go up to 3.5 grs. these are not max load but leading may become an issue if you push them over the 1K fps. range since I cast my bullets from pure lead. I get excellent results in the X39 using the 3.0 gr. load and 3.5 grs. in all the rest.

My bullet of choice is the Lee 32 cal. .314 90 gr. tumble lube SWC,bullets can be cast from pure lead with a little tin added if you like or cast them from 50/50 Lead/WW alloy. In the X39 and 54r my rifles like a .314 dia. bullet. I TL once run it through the Lee .314 sizer and TL once more before loading,for the 308 cal. rifles I use the same procedure as above but size the bullets to .311 in my Lee sizer. All bullets are roll crimped in the top lube groove. If you don't cast and a .314. dia. lead bullet will be useful Hornady makes a swadged 32 cal. .314' bullet that may work for you.

Here is an example of my 30-30 subsonic load using said bullet and powder and Win. LR primer.
    [​IMG]

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

This is what I have discovered about reloading for the 7.62x54r. First you can't reliably use brass fired by other Mosin Nagants. They are not perfectly chambered so the shoulders of the used brass may be damaged. There are few perfect bullets. The bore of the Mosin Nagant is cut to .311. There are only a few bullets out there that are made to fit the bore. Some people use ballistic tip .308 bullets. I don't see the point of using an expensive bullet that is going to rattle or slide down the barrel. Why not buy Brown/Silver Bear ammo for $70 (includes shipping) for 120 rounds of 203gr SP ammo? If your mosin nagant will not shoot brown bear ammo accurately the barrel is nasty or worn out.

As far as loading sub sonic ammo I don't see the point. I already have a 22 LR and ammo is lot cheaper than just the primers for any centerfire round. I know everyone wants experiment. But I try to do experiments that haven't been done or there is reason to doubt the conclusion that others have drawn. I have no reason to doubt that loading sub sonic ammo for a centerfire rifle has no practical use that can't be duplicated by another weapon in my arsenal much more cheaply.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ive never had a problem with used x54 brass shot out of a Mosin.. I dont get why everybody says theirs no choice in bullets for the Mosin.. It takes the same ones as the .303/7.7.. (.303 is a popular hunting round, I never hear the Enfield people complain about bullet selection?)

I hear RL-15 is a awesome powder for the x54.. I want to see how it compares to IMR-4895, let you know how that goes.

I wouldnt mind playing around with subsonic rounds for my T38 Arisaka, I have read the Japanese in WWII issued their snipers subsonic ammo and out of the longer T38 (T97) their was no muzzle flash, and a quieter report. (Just wanna see if thats true or not...)

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

My brother owns an Arisaka he inherited from my grandfather. The Arisaka was a war prize my Grandfather brought home from Korea. It has a long barrel similar to a Mosin Nagant and no it doesn't make a huge muzzle flash with factory ammo. With a subsonic load and the proper powder it will have no flash. The report I have my doubts. We all shoot subsonic pistol ammo in our 9mm. Its just as loud as the hypersonic 115 gr ammo, even when fired from a carbine with a 16" barrel.