Reloading 30-30?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JW357, May 19, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Hey all,

I bought a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 a few days ago. (Can't post pictures of it yet since Kalifornia has a silly 10 day waiting period).

I currently have a Hornady Progressive AP loader. I'm not sure how much I'll shoot the rifle to be perfectly honest. I definitely will sometimes, but prolly not in high volume until sometime next year. So lets rule the speed of the progressive vs hand loading issue out for now. My question is this: would it be more cost effective to just buy a set of dies for my progressive press (as well as a new powder measure specific for that caliber) or buy one of those caliber specific reloading kits (something like http://www.midwayusa.com/product/543039/lee-classic-loader-30-30-winchesterthis)?

Also, I heard 30-30 shouldn't be handloaded with a kit like that. Is there any truth to that?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

There's a 10 day waiting period to post pics from Cali? That is silly
    Not sure about the reloading from a lee press though...Never heard anything like that.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Most of the laws in this state are silly.

Especially the one about the 10 day waiting period before you can bring a gun that you've bought home from the store. That's almost as silly as not being able to post pics for ten days!

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I must agree....I can't see where to solves anything. Any rational killer would not want to use a gun wit ha paper trail anyway. That's what flea markets and the black market are for. And usually guns are cheaper in these venues anyway.

I sent a text to a friend of mine about the reloading for a 30 30. He's a bit more savvy about things like that. I've reloaded for my 30 30 (also a Win 94) but it was a different type of press. Honestly though I can't see where it would make a difference. As long as the rounds are within spec I just can't see an issue.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Can not imagine a "Cowboy" having to wait 10 days for a saddle rifle. Wow! that means you would have to wait a year for a new horse.

The 30-30 is a great rifle for loading hard cast bullets. These are not for hunting but great for plinking and paper targets.:)

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What you depicted is a "stand alone" no press needed no frills fit in your backpack reloading system. You use a plastic mallet to drive a cartridge case into the dies, use mallet and rod to drive out, necks sizes only.

They DO work. They WILL reload safe to shoot ammo. They ARE a PITA to use. Happen to have a couple on oddball calibers that I may shoot 20 rounds in a decade.

You already have a press? Try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEE-RGB-2-DIE-SET-30-30-WINCHESTER-90878-/330917115623#ht_243wt_1211

7. res45

res45 New Member

I'm guessing your talking about for hunting in CA since they have the lead ammo band is some areas. In general though you can hunt anything with cast bullets that you hunt with jacketed bullets.

The 30-30 was made for shooting cast lead,I shoot loads for small game and plinking with 90 gr. SWC at 1K fps. up to 170 gr. RNFP at 2100 fps. for larger game.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?22-Hunting-with-CB-s&

8. -06

-06 New Member

30/30s are great rounds and easy to load--even with a "whack-ah-moley" rig. I still have mine. Try the new Hornady boolits. They have a polymer tip that give superior ballistics over the flat nosed ones.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. I haven't yet tried mixing and matching dies in my press. Always kept it the same due to simplicity. Will Lee dies work in my Hornady press? I assume all I need is a bushing (or whatever that locking ring is called), but like I said I haven't tried it yet.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Use your press. The LEE loader is an excellent little tool for the one box per year hunter, but it is a PITA.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JW,

I would just buy dies for your press. Something that I finally did, that I should have done years ago after years of toiling with the little RCBS Balance Powder Scale. I purchased a Lyman 1200 Scale. Man did it cut down on the time of measuring powder that was always a tedious and time consuming task. The scale is programmable to memory for many different rounds you load and you just select the round you have preset and the unit sets to that correct powder charge. And when close automatically trickles powder granules out of the tube to get the correct amount of charge. This since if I am going to spend good money on casings, primers, powder and other items that are at a premium. I want the best and most accurate ammunition I can make. Not just ammo that throws the round somewhere on the target.
    Some Lee Dies have problems with the Hornady press on some the lock ring are too thick. I would recommend the RCBS Dies or the Hornady. You might have to use "one" spacer ring on the RCBS? But they are cheap and usually come in a pack of 10 if you do not have any spacers with your press.
    Also, the ammunition for the 30-30 has "came a long way" regarding the tube fed model guns. Hornady makes the new Flex Tipped bullets for the 30-30 tube fed guns that will not detonate the primer on the round in front of them. And they have better ballistic than previous rounds for hunting and what ever.
    But as stated I would go with your press and a good powder measure unit.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definitely gonna go with some dies.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by spacer? Where do they add space?

I've seen review about the Hornady LEVERevolution, or whatever they're called, Rounds. Wasn't positive if I could buy just the bullets for reloading purposes. I was gonna look into it when I get around to getting setup for 30-30.

Thanks again.

13. -06

-06 New Member

Yes, you can buy just the Hornady projectiles.