reloading 223

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Sep 3, 2018.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I took two different bullets to the range to chronograph and ran into a couple of guys that shoot at 1,000 yards. I was in the middle of the recommended range.

They suggested making up loads and incrementing the powder in .2gr and speed checking. There would be a sudden drop in velocity variation, which is the powder I want for that bullet/rifle.

They also suggested going to 63g instead of the 55 I had purchased. Barrel twist rate is 1/9.

Long term plans include suppressor and procuring an AR pistol.

I have no plans to get into long range shooting.

Are the instructions good? How bad will the performance be with shorter barrel? Is ten rounds enough to make a determination?

Here's the data so far. I should have taken some commercial match ammo I had too, but didn't think about it.

String 1 - Commercial reload ammo
    Avg 2911
    Spread 25
    Std Dev 10

String 2 Nosler Ballistic
    Avg 2734
    Spread 29
    Std Dev 17

String 3 Berry's
    Avg 2689
    Spread 54
    Std Dev 19

Per Hodgdon's site, I should be about 3,040 given 25.0gr powder BL-C(2).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

It depends on the length of the barrel that Hodgdon used when they tested for their data. If they used a 24" barrel,and you're shooting your reloads out of a 16" barrel,then you should have a lower velocity than they listed.
    As far as the bullet weight,shoot what ever your barrel likes the best. A 1-9 twist will stabilize up to a 75 gr BTHP bullet usually,But most don't shoot bullets like the Hornady AMax / ELD-M very well,plus in an AR you have to seat them out too far to fit in a magazine.

Looking at your ES/SD numbers,you need to either get a better powder scale or watch how fast you dump the powder into the scale pan. You want to try and get as low ES/SD #'s as you can to produce the most accurate shooting ammo.

I always load 5 rounds per weight charge,and go up in .3 grain increments. Then once I find a good accuracy node,I'll load up more test loads at -.2,-.1 gr below the first test weight & +.1,+.2 above it just to try and find the absolute best charge weight.
    If you throw consistent power charge,and have good case prep,it's easy to produce very accurate ammo. Getting single digit ES/SD #'s is doing about as good as it gets,but I try not to have an ES over 20,and a SD over 10.
    When you can load you ammo like that,the bullets will follow each other to the target if you do your part behind the weapon.

This is a sample of what consistent powder charges will do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shopfox likes this.

3. partdeux

NICE!

I also looked up the chrono recommendations, and they want a rifle 15 feet away, suggesting the blast can trip the timer start.

My Dillon drops a consistent amount. I'll probably manually dump the powder in the press. I'm assuming the scale is consistent, it's never given me reason to believe that it's not.

locutus likes this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

It all depends on how accurate you want your ammo to be. Most powder throwers are +/- .2 or .3 grains of your target charge. That's where you get high ES/SD numbers, and so so accuracy.
    I hand weigh every charge on my precision loads with my beam scale. I calibrate the beam scale with a digital lab scale with a .01 grain resolution.

For plinking around ammo, I just set up the powder thrower to a specific charge and go to town loading ammo. I will weigh a charge every 5 -10 cases just to make sure they are close to the target weight.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My Dillon measures, and my Redding all throw most powders +- .1 grains.

BWM243 likes this.
  6. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I found that over the years that 24.5 grains of varget, small rifle standard winchester brand primer, LC brass, and 77 grain Sierra Match Kings work great FOR ME..
    BUT... I have a 1 in 7 twist barrel that is 20 inches on the target AR and 1 in 8 twist on my "service rifle AR" (for NRA match OTC).
    A lot of guys are switching over to Vita Vouri powders.
    REMEMBER...all DISCLAIMERS apply! my rifle and barrel are different then yours.

I HAD a 1 in 9 twist barrel when I had MISTAKENLY bought my first AR. It would sometimes shoot the 75 grain hornady bullets good with the above mentioned charge, but then on the next lot of bullets, the group would turn into a "shot gun pattern"
    I then moved along to buying the 1 in 8 twist upper with a wilson gage barrel. it works very well.....better then I can hold.

7. partdeux

Assuming my digital scale is consistent, I can manually load the powder in the press.

I don't expect to compete with this rifle or any other rifle, but I would hope for some relative amount of accurate impact

8. locutus

My varmint gun is a heavy barrel 6MM Remington. It will shoot 3/8 inch groups. It will hit prairie dogs past 400 yards.

My AR-15s are fighting rifles. Minute of puke at 300 yards with M193 ball is all I ask of them.

9. formerCav

last time I went prairie dogging I went to Gillette WY and got RAINED on 6 our of 7 days.
    sucked.
    I got 4 PD guns and NOBODY to go with me and NO Place to go.
    I'm getting old and tired too now. Had 2 heart attacks so I got my stuff for sale so my wife does not get stuck with it.
    Want to buy a Savage .243 Caliber bolt gun with a 6-24 x 50 Burris Black Diamond scope on it.?

10. locutus

If you're a hand loader, you would be far happier with the 6MM Remington.

I've loaded both,and the 6MM is far easier. And~100 FPS better velocity.

11. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

Load what is best for you, I only use hornady 75gr hpbt bullets because my AR shoots .680 5 shot groups at 200. If I am plinking or hunting there is only one load I load and need to remember. At 75 grains it is a good plinker a good deer bullet and HD as well. I find that high velocity in my AR's are less accurate, so stick with what will give you the greatest accuracy as this will also deliver the most precision.

alsaqr likes this.
  12. formerCav

I know I would have been happier with 6mm.
    but you BUY what is AVAILABLE AT THE TIM especially when you are hitting the road in 3 or 4 days.
    NOW... I have dies, a couple thousand pieces of brass and three rifles in .243....... Kind of hard to switch now.
    Besides... I'm done dogging. WHo wants to buy a rifle with a really NICE piece of glass on top of it??

locutus likes this.