reliable pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tomrich, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tomrich

tomrich New Member

hey im new at this forum thing, i will be turning 21 soon and i was wondering what a good reliable handgun would be, perferably a semi-auto. i work on a ranch in florida, so it probably will be beaten to hell and put up with a lot of dirt mud rain and blood from hog hunting

thanks for your time

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Glock or XD, take your pick.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Smith and Wesson Sigma Series, will do a fine job.

4. tomrich

tomrich New Member

thanks for your help do you think hog blood will take the tennifer off a glock like it will blueing off a rifle

5. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Glock for severe dirt and grime. I have dropped an open G21 in pancake batter mud and it sank 8 inches down. I pulled it out and shook it underwater in the creek til it had no more "dirt smoke" coming from it and it shot fine 5 minutes later. When I got home and stripped it there was mud still caked inside it.

6. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Hard to beat Smith & Wesson. :cool:

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Blood is corrosive. Cleaning whatever weapon you get blood on after the hunt will minimalize any damage. That is if you are hunting thinks other than 'Alien', their blood is an highly acidic. :eek:

If hunting, why not a long barrel revolver in .357 mag or larger? The long barrel increases accuracy and distance. Anything under 5" like on most semis will limit the accuracy at distances over 25 yards or so.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Between Glock, Springfield XD & XDms', and Smith M&P's; any of the above would be good for the job. Go try them out and see what you like. Caliber is to each his own as well: 9mm, .40, .45. If you want it as a backup for a really pissed off hog, you might want the .45.

I prefer the Springfield myself.

9. tomrich

tomrich New Member

while a 357 is a great gun by any means i really want something that isnt too long or bulky, because i will be running through the woods. also i also want a few more shots than just 5 or 6 even though they will probably not be needed

10. ScottA

.357 Sig may be a possibility. Kind of expensive though.

11. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Hmmm, blood from hog hunting, not too bulky, power, a few more shots than 5 or 6...

I predict a 10mm in your very near future! :D :cool:!!!

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

ScottA,

This is for your 'wish list'. :)

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is what Uncle Ted uses. :D

14. ScottA

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :D

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

5" kimber stainles 2 in 10mm comes to mind.
    Or a Glock 20 with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel will satisfy any 10mm craving.

How about a SBR 10mm. That would be nice.

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Whatever you get, be sure to clean it after getting it all mucked up. How about an XDm 40 S&W? ;)

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You wanna drag it around with you, exposed to various elements? Buy polymer. It's light, affordable, and resilient under the worst of circumstances.

It might also serve as a back-up hunting gun? Buy a faster caliber.

So I'd suggest Glock/XD/M&P in .357sig or 10mm. If you go Glock you can actually get a 357sig conversion barrel for a Glock 20 (10mm) for about $100. But be aware that these two calibers are both on the expensive side.

I'm not a big hunter myself, but the above setup is something I'd strongly consider if taking a semi-auto into the field as a backup hunting pistol.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A well made 1911 would fit the bill. For striker fired weapons I'd lean to the XD or one of the S&W's. Sig Sauer pistols are some of the best in situations you are talking about as well.:)

19. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Will have to agree w/ DrumJunkie, SigSauer is a top choice semi-auto for the conditions you are describing. Maybe one of the models that has changeable slide options for different calibers. Check-out the P226 and P220 series.

20. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

1911 or Hi-Power.
    Both have exceptional pedigree and reputation.
    Both are battle tested and passed with flying colors.

My personal preference is the HP.