reliable .22 handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by celticpride2133, Sep 5, 2012.

1. celticpride2133

celticpride2133 New Member

So I did some looking and still nothing. I want a .22 handgun. I love the look of the ruger sr22 and the sign sauer mosquito. But I have read too many post about how bad they perform. So please help point me in the correct direction for a reliable. 22 that looks like those 2 models. Thanks

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I haven't heard anything bad about the Ruger SR22... the SIG I've heard of problems from people. I'd go for the SR22.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The sr22 is 'supposed' to be reliable.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you want reliable, can't beat the Ruger Mark 2 or 3.

5. celticpride2133

I'm leaning toward the sr22 anyone with experience or own the gun wanna let me know how they like the gun?

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I have one. Just bought it 2 weeks ago. Walther P22 was my alternative choice and ended up with SR22. Very accurate, fun to shoot and only had 3 FTFs out of 1000 rounds.

7. danolator

danolator New Member

I have about 1,000 rounds through my SR22 and it performs like a champ. The fixed barrel makes for great accuracy. Have mine loaded with rat shot right now. Got a couple copperheads asking for the dirt nap.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

We have an SR22. Its really my wiFes pistol but I love it. I've shot it way more than she has. Its as accurate as I can be. Ive fed it lots of different ammo federal, remington, Winchester, fiocchi, CCI mini mags, and blazer. The only problem I had was with blazer after about 300 rnds. I went back to federal and it kept shooting. Problem was FTF new end after shot. So I'm pretty sure it was the blazer ammo. I would highly suggest this pistol. Check out the videos section here. I have a couple videos of it in action.
    Now onto the sig. It's looks okay. Has a time with ammo. So far the only ammo my friend has not had issues with is CCI minimags. Everything else jams.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

I sure hope for you that is a typo...

10. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Please don't tell his wife, or was it wide?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Bersa thunder 22. Looks like a walther ppk. Mine runs everything i care to stuff in the mag. Runs about 300 rounds before it needs cleaning.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Jimenez ja22, 3k rounds plus. I will always be a diehard Jimmy fan. Have 22 and 9 and both have been issue free since bought. Granted I havent given them years, but I have put years worth of rounds through them and at that price I feel more than confident in saying they easily hold their own against any.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Oops! I thought i was in the revolver section from the thread name.
    ;)

14. celticpride2133

So what do you think between the walther p22 and the ruger sr22? Similar price which one is better?

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The ruger 100%.

Walther makes a good gun.

Ruger makes a great gun.

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ruger!!

ive heard walthers can be very picky on ammo sometimes.

unlesss you eventually want a supresser. walther has the threaded barrel.. its only perk

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Ruger has aftermarket threaded barrel too. I bought it from Twin Tech Tactical for $150. They are the only makers for SR22 so far.

18. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Ive had a browning .22 pistol and matching .22 rifle. Extremely reliable, even with cheap ammo very few jams. Have had them both for 8 years and still going strong.

19. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

I also have the saltier p22. Very good comfortable and reliable pistol also, I just don't like that when the casings eject they tend to come straight back at you, a few down the shirt over the years.

20. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

*Walther P22 sorry