Reliability Question for Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Jonahza, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Jonahza

Jonahza New Member

I am being advised to avoid the Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR pistol because it is not reliable. Does anyone have any personal experience with this semi-auto by Sig and is it indeed not reliable?
    [​IMG]

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Glad you could get on board!

Stop by the "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

While perusing the form, please notice that there are multiple sections. This section that you posted your thread in is an area that we normally use to get support and suggestions about the forum itself.

Firearms have their own areas (and Sig has a specific area) to ask questions/opinions/advice in.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Welcome, Jonah- I moved your thread over to the Sig Sauer section- better chance of getting a good answer there.

I have no experience with the mosquito, but in GENERAL, rimfire semi autos are not as reliable as center fires due to the characteristics of the rimfire cartridge- shape, priming, etc.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

5. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

As a Mosquito owner, I would have told you the same. Looking back, there is a good chance it needed high velocity ammo, such as Stinger and Velocitor, to operate reliably. It is true, as C3 noted, that .22 semi-auto handguns are less reliable in general. (And they are forgiven because they are sports guns, not lifesavers)

In fairness, some complaints result from a user error. IIRC, the recoil spring is asymmetric, and that is easily overlooked during reassembly. But it is a finicky pistol. I've "heard" that SIG has made improvements. That's all I know, hope it helps.

6. jozimoto

jozimoto New Member

I have a friend who has a Sig Mosquito. He said it is very finicky. It does shoot accurate though. I would never buy one. I think there are many better choices. I have read too many unfavorable opinions about the Mosquito being finicky I'm not into finicky. Just my $.02

7. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

you would be better off using a long pointy stick to poke holes in a target, and a rock for targets at longer distances.

I bought one for my son when he was younger, he saw it when it first came out and had to have one.
    The first one was a very early made gun with low serial numbers, rough build quality and machining. would not cycle with any ammo, CCI or bulk box.
    Sent back to Sig and 1 month later a new Sig showed up, in NJ that means reapplying for another pistol permit and waiting some more.
    This one had nice build and machining quality, would only run on CCI and still jammed regularly.
    The reason most people buy a .22 is to shoot cheaply and as a learning tool for new shooters.
    CCI is not the cheapest .22 ammo out there , but it did teach my Son to clear a jam safely.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My son has one that he shoots ALOT. His likes Remington ammo and a couple of others. I have shot his many times and have never seen it malfunction and it was more accurate than I expected. That said if I were looking I would likely go instead to the Ruger SR-22 pistol.

9. SB777

SB777 New Member

If you want a Sig, why not look in the the 1911?

http://www.impactguns.com/sig-1911-22-22lr-10-rnd-mags-191122b-798681429257.aspx

I have one of these and haven't found an ammo it couldn't feed. I ran 100 rounds of CCI's just to break it in and run standard 22LR's without a problem. If you want to get into the 1911's it's also a good trainer. When my wife goes to the range with me she grabs this one and runs a few hundred rounds through herself.

10. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

i have a mosquito and its possibly the worst gun ive ever owned. i cannot recommend it.

if you want a good compact 22lr the ruger sr22 is a great choice. bit bigger the mark3 from ruger cant be beat.

i rate the sig mosquito as utter junk. its hard to imagine sig sells them with no guilt

11. mag318

mag318 Member

I agree and this is one Sig to avoid. I bought one because I liked how it felt in hand but after a few range sessions got rid of it. They are just not reliable pistols and you're lucky to get one that is just finicky. Buy a Ruger SR22 or a S&W M&P22c and you'll be much happier.

12. Btulamf

Btulamf New Member

I have one and as long as I keep it clean and use CCI mini-mags, as recommended by Sig there is no problem.

13. wdb143

wdb143 New Member

I have a mosquito and as long as I use CCI I have no problems.....
    Now trying to find some CCI ammo is not an easy task these days.

14. tazzman55

tazzman55 Active Member

I had one and can't say I ever had a problem with it. Replaced it with an M&P only because I preferred the grip on the S&W.

15. SB777

SB777 New Member

I have a Walther P22 and was told by the salesman to break it in with CCI's. He was right, it wouldn't feed anything else until I ran about 500 CCI's through. After that it would feed any regular 22 ammo. I don't have a Mosquito but know several others who do and they speak highly of them. I do have a few other Sig pistols and know they are quality firearms.

16. WOP2

WOP2 New Member

I bought a Sig Mosquito, cleaned it, and took it to the range. Seemed to work O.K., and it sat in the safe for quite some time. Took it to our gun club for ladies day for new shooters. Gun absolutely refused to function. Took it home, read the book, and learned two really important things:
    1-Sig Mosquito is calibrated around CCI Mini Mags and
    2-The little hole in the slide really, really, really needs a good deal of a light machine oil every 500 rounds or less. ITS THE LUBE HOLE FOR THE EXTRACTOR LINCH PIN. Duh!

As it was, on Sunday, we were shooting some really crap ammo, Winchester promotional ammo. I lubed the gun, cleaned it, and used Federal ammo in the bulk pack (500 rounds) with the blue colored box. Gun ran like a Swiss watch.

Granted, the heavy trigger pull (its that damned mag safety you have to fight through) does nothing to make the gun particularly accurate, BUT its a fun plinker, and the controls, including slide release, decocker, magazine release are identical to my P229's. Sig did add a manual safety on the Mosquito, and for training purposes with brand new shooters, that's not the worst idea. Now if they could just please figure out a kit to lighten the trigger to a 3-5 pound single action pull, I'm betting the gun would shoot better than I do.

I bought mine very gently used, with all of the original packaging and hard case, and now that I've discovered what ammo it likes, and that it likes to be oiled up, I'm going to keep it.

17. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The SIG/GSG 1911 .22 is a reliable pistol. It is not a match grade handgun. But it is my favorite .22 pistol and rabbit gun.:D

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

A guy I know had one, He was less than thrilled with it. It wasn't terrible, but it was enough to be distracting. I don't know if he ever did get it feeding reliably.
    While people say that .22s are theoretically less reliable than rimless centerfires, I haven't found that to be the case in practice. I have a Ruger MK3, an AMT Lightning (MK2 Clone) a Sig (GSG) 1911 22 and a CZ Kadet kit. They all run great. My only "failures" have been failure to fire (priming compound failure, nothing related to the gun itself.) Feeding has been fine.
    But maybe your thinking, who care's, right? My point is that there are plenty of very good .22 pistols for reasonable prices. With this in mind, life is too short to deal with an unreliable .22 pistol.

These guys got it working (after way more effort than most people would be willing to put out):
    http://topgunreview.com/sig-mosquito-review/

I prefer mine to work out of the box, Opinions vary of course

19. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I once had a sig mosquito when they first came out. That is the only gun that was ever stolen from me. I never did get that gun to feed anything reliable but hot .22 rounds, mainly cci mini mags. Any other run of the mill bulk 22 ammo would almost certainly choke it up before getting through an entire mag. It was on its way to getting traded before it was stolen because one does not typically buy a 22 to shoot expensive ammo, in fact it's almost always the opposite. Back then it came with 2 different recoil springs and both ran the same.

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

1st generation Mosquito's do have issues. Very finicky on ammo. I bought my son a second generation, it runs flawlessly with even standard velocity ammo. Accuracy is quite impressive. We were at a shoot with some Sig employees(my oldest son is one), They were really impressed. One guy did get a little upset when my 16 year old and he swapped handguns for a moment. A 16 year old shot his custom engraved, worked 226 better then he did.

I bought the sig from a co-worker for 150.00 with hard case, holster and extra mag. He had bought it for his wife, she liked his Glock 19 better.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016