Reinstalling a firing pin block.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Kenney, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I just need to know it can be done so I don't screw anything up. The gun in question is multi purpose, so please don't go into discussion about why I should or shouldn't remove it.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What gun? What is the "multi purpose".

The firing pin block is a "safety", and I do not advocate disabling any safety feature installed by the manufacturer.

If on a Series-80 type 1911, there should be no reason to remove it. I have been successful in getting good trigger pulls with the firing pin block mechanism in place.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Why would you want to remove the firing pin block? I'm not being critical, i've just never heard of any benefits that could be gained by doing it.

4. Kenney

Kenney New Member

It's the CZ SP01 custom mentioned in other posts. The guy at CZ wants me to buy a shadow model for 200 more because it doesn't have a firing pin. I can remove the block myself no problem, but have never attempted reinstalling one. When all is said and done, I'll have parts for a solid carry and target pistol on hand, and plan to switch them out accordingly, which is why I called it multi purpose. The firing pin block is one of those parts.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

1911s dont need em. None of mine have them even my series 90 one is gone. Reason being its unneeded parts that can break and gum up the works and the trigger is a scootch better without. Its unsafe practice to carry a 1911 hammer down on a live roumd anyway. With the hammer back its got the safety and half cock notch to stop firing pin contact

In the case of a cz i would leave it unlike a 1911 designed to be carried cocked and safety on so no need for a block. The cz is designed to carry with hammer down. This a sharp blow to the hammer can set it off.

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

The man at CZ just informed me that in order to install the new slide, I'd have to remove the firing pin block. I have no problem with this, but when I put the original slide back in, can I put the firing pin block back in? That's my question.

7. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Here's the basic story in a nutshell. CZ recently came out with a new array of "Shadow" models, factory customs made by CZ Customs. On of them is the CZ 75 Shadow CTS LS, which has a 5.4 inch upper in comparison to the 4.7" standard. They also offer the CZ75 SP01 model, which is an updated model of the classic CZ75b with better handling and a number of new features, including a rail. My plan is to have the long slide of the Shadow CTS LS installed on the SP01 frame, then as I get the more money, install the performence parts. CZ Custom wants $250 to install the upper onto the frame, which is obviously a rip. He also wants me to buy a Shadow SP01 from his shop, which cost $280 more and comes with parts I'm going to end up replacing on the basis of it not having a firing pin block, which I myself can remove with no issue. I'm sure if there's nothing beyond the the new slide getting fitted, I'll have no trouble finding a gunsmith who could install it no problem for a fraction of the price. The reason I want to know about the firing pin, is when it's all done, I'll have a complete upper for the basic SP01 on hand, which would make a great carry. If I can reinstall a safety feature, I will, but the long slide is made so it won't accept a firing pin block, and so I want to know I can put the it back on when I intend to carry. That's it. Please don't ask me about why I want to do this. Please, someone just tell me yes or no.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Any part that can be removed without tools should be capable of being reinstalled.