Reinforcing a "locker" style cabinet?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by therhino, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pnolans

pnolans New Member

Thanks a lot for the drawing. I get it better now. You just saved me a bunch of $$$

I owe you one! or two!

:)

2. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

One solution for the cash-strapped is to buy a used document safe ( set up like a file cabinet ) . These are often sold at auction by the government and private dealers resell them . They are good for storing pistols, ammo, mags, holsters and parts .

3. AR10

AR10 New Member

Every town has a bunch of locksmiths. Call them all, telling them you want a big safe. The larger they are, the mire work they are to move. Very large safes are hard to sell for that reason.

Also call realestate brokers, because safes get left behind. Put an ad in Craig's list looking for a safe.

Anyone that walks into a box store ti buy a new gun safe has not figured out there is a less money option, that gets you more safe.

I paid 200 bucks for a huge two door UL rated jewelry safe. Another safe was 60 bucks, another was free.

Look around.

You are not going to find a job box for one fifty. Used beat up one maybe.

ForumRunner_20130322_020044.jpg

4. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

Gun Cabinet

Reinforce it helps. You can put a chain through it and through your guns and use a trojan lock inside where the chain goes through and around the cabinet. They would need bolt cutters to get the chain off and the lock cannot be cut easy and if you use a big enough chain it is hard to cut without a big pair of lock cutters. They would have tear the whole cabinet apart to get your guns. I also so have designs for other ways to reinforce your cabinet. Some of them are cheaper than buying a big safe. I also run across gun safes every now and then fairly cheap. Most of the time you have to send off for the combination because the owner lost it or the owner is not around. Let me know how it goes.

5. andreagold

andreagold New Member

I live in Houston in a small apartment in a residential complex. I thought, I was safe with extra tricks and tips I got from a verbose residential locksmith in Houston, but last year some burglar penetrated through all doors, including a special cabinet I had got for my precious stuff and a licensed pistol.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

First- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop over in the introductions side and say hello.

A "wall locker" type cabinet (cheap Stack On type) is good for keeping a curious child out of the guns. It can be forced in 30 seconds or less with a tire iron or large screwdriver.

A better steel safe can still be forced, but it will take longer, be harder work, require tools the average meth head is not carrying.

A really good safe will not be cost effective for one or two handguns. As an intermediate level, companies like Harbor Freight carry small safe like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/037-cubic-ft-electronic-digital-safe-93575.html

This is NOT a high security safe for the Hope Diamond- but it is more secure than a sheet metal cabinet. It WILL need to be anchored to a wall (lag bolts into wall studs, etc) It is big enough for a couple of handguns, and does not cost more than the handguns.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

Be aware that some of the less expensive "Fire Safes" use some sort of moisture impregnated concrete to provide the fire resistance. They may be very humid inside. I have some rust on one of my revolvers cylinders from storing it in such a safe.

I presume gun safes don't have this problem.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

And then what ... ?

My place was burglarized back in May 2014 and he overturned everything in full view of my Liberty Safe, stole my fraternity ring and my compound bow, but everything inside the gun safe fortunately was safe, no pun intended.

Moral of the story --

... everyone with a gun or guns or jewelry or cameras or optics or computers needs a gun safe.

N'est pas?

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

A bunch of new "people" joined in Jan 2015.

Are you all the same person or what?

10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

I only joined once!!

11. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 Active Member

Its the same discussion as diff effects of cover and concealment, they are for different reasons and unless you combine the two, your not covering all the bases. Locks only keep honest people honest they dont keep criminals out. You can conceal behind a Lock but that alone isnt adequate cover and wont stop a criminal mechanic with the right tools from getting in, only slows them down. Im not a criminal but I do have a sawzal, wrecking bar and die grinder and there is little that isnt a very solid safe that could stop me from getting in if I wanted to with a small satchel of easy to come by tools.

Dont fool yourself into thinking you can protect your guns with a modified wall locker. If you feel that someone with criminal intent might try to get your guns or other things, you either need to move or reinforce things to a point that the jaws of life wont open it and thats with a safe and nothing less for the most part.

12. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I don't know how many or what kind of firearms you own, but if it's a relatively small number, what I did YEARS ago (before my collection got too large) was buy an old stand up style freezer that had a built in lock on the door. I removed the compressor, added an interior 100W bulb (as a dehumidifier) and kept my guns/ammo in the "freezer" for many years either in my garage or laundry room. It's air tight, heavy, looks like what it is to unknowing eyes (a freezer) was inexpensive (less than $100 used) and now serves as the storage container for my ammo.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have one of these cabinets. It set my mind at ease that the kids or their friends won't be getting into my guns, but I accepted long ago that if i'm not here and we get a burglar, they are as good as gone. Luckily(unluckily) I don't have a fortune in firearms.

14. flwing

flwing New Member

It must be popular - now priced at $283.97!

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Wall lockers will keep the kids out. If that is the security level you are looking for, you will be good to go. Heavier safes will keep out casual burglars.

Nothing will keep an experienced B&E man out of the safe you bought from Cabelas. I see all of the top-end safes bragging about how many bolts are in the door. Only an idiot would try to go through the door of a gun safe. I have yet to see a portable gun safe that I couldn't be inside of, using a battery powered Sawzall with Torch blades, in about five minutes. When I was through the door would still be bolted. Your bedroom closet wall wouldn't slow me down by more than a couple of minutes. Surround the safe on five sides with concrete and steel and it may take to long to be worth it.

If a safe doesn't involve a lot of concrete and rebar and is not backed up by a good alarm system, and a million dollar door, it ain't burglar proof.

I have been on site when bank vaults were being fabricated.....now that is a "safe." It would take me a week of hard, very noisy work with jack hammers and cutting torches to bust one of them, and when I was through the door would still be locked. (it ain't like the movies)

(P.S. before someone asks, I am not a B&E man, but I have done some demolition workl)

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

With today's technology and a cursory search of low cost home security, I'd feel comfortable suggesting that for the price of a safe, you could better spend the money making the house burglar proof...
    Consider, for the price of a safe you could,

Buy a gun locker and hide it.
    Install a real deal burglar alarm,
    Reinforce your doors and install steel doors of you don't have them already.
    Install motion lights outside,
    Install 3m security film to your exterior Windows.
    Install a solid wood door to the room which houses the guns.
    Install security cameras inside and outside your house etc...

I have a safe, and for what that cost me with delivery, I could've made my house better than Fort Knox...

17. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Locks keep honest people honest is B.S. Not wanting to be the POS who puts a dent in the family name is what keeps people honest.

The purposes of a lock:

• To delay a thief
    • To force them to make noise
    • To force them to linger in the light
    • To force them to learn specialized skills
    • To force them to bring specialized tools

A lock is a filter to keep out the lazy, the timid and the stupid.

If you can't solve the problem, change the problem: a $30 Super HAD CCD TV camera, a $30 mobile DVR, a $14 4.3" TFT TV if you want to splurge, and a sign that says "If you see yourself on this monitor you are already recorded in the cloud" could produce an Americas Funniest Home Videos moment

18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I cant remeber what movie it was the thieves used one of these to open a home safe.

Attached Files:

19. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

In 1999 I came back from vacation to a burned out house. We had been broken into while we were away.

When meeting with the detective, I mentioned my safe. What safe? The whole thing was gone! It was bolted to the floor and wall in the bedroom closet. They had prized the safe out.

The safe, which had been opened and my lawnmower which had been used as a dolly, we're found at the back of my property at a railroad track that my property butts to. They had driven a car up the tracks to stay hidden. Luckily they caught 2 of the arsons/thieves. Unluckily I lost all my firearms except the one I had carried with me. I later got 4 of them back.

The moral here is a determined the if will find a way. I was unable to purchase another safe at the time, being put in dire straights financially. I bought a security cabinet, lined it with sheet rock on the inside and lined that with thin carpet. Reinforced the door with steel flats much like the OP suggested and lag bolted to the walls and floor
    . It has been working well for going on 17 years now. Aggravating to open because you have to pull the steel bars out to open.

I now use it in my garage to secure stuff, replaced by a Cannon wide body. Can it be broken into? Sure, a real safe didn't stop them, but it is a very strong deterrant.

20. superc

superc Active Member

Let us understand that as the many gun safe break in videos on YouTube show us, a gun cabinet's purpose is to keep the gun out of reach of a 4 year old. Any burglar with tools and or time can defeat them. A large Stihl Saw with a diamond blade will cut through any gun safe on the market, even the expensive ones.

That said, one of the best gun cabinets I have seen was an old dead refrigerator outfitted with hasps and high security padlocks on three sides AND bolted to the floor and wall also.