rehabbing Pappa's an old model 61

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Medtac, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Medtac

Medtac New Member

I found my grandfathers Winchester model 61 .22 and it is in pretty rough shape. It went through a house fire and has been sitting in a barn for the past 2 years. It did not receive any direct heat damage from the fire just smoke, the outside of the barrel has rusted pretty good. I did some research on the serial number and it looks like it was made in 1949. It was function properly prior to the house fire and if possible I would like to refurb it and get it back to original appearance and shooting and give it to my son. I am looking for any advice on how to go about getting it back in shape.

IMG_20110807_203604.jpg

IMG_20110807_203658.jpg

IMG_20110807_203755.jpg

IMG_20110807_203830.jpg

IMG_20110807_203843.jpg

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You will need a schematic- so here's one- 61 (*)

Remove wood from metal. Formby's Furniture Refinisher, and Linspeed Oil. Linspeed is not a typo. Be very careful with Formby's- flammable as hell.

Rust- great stuff called KROIL. Paint it on (its an oil) lets set for a day, use a nylon scubbing pad or a copper Chore Boy scrubber wetted with more KROIL, and rub gently. There may be no bluing left. You can check for smiths in your area that can buff and reblue. Cold blue will not look the same as a pro hot blue.

Remove other parts from metal (leave barrel connected to frame) Use KROIL and a toothbrush to scrub crud off parts. Wear gloves.

It will NOT look like a new rifle, but it can be improved.

3. Medtac

Medtac New Member

Thank you for the help . I was thinking of rust bluing it

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, you are already started on that..... :p

Actually, that may be a good idea- Rust blues are typically on metal that is not as finely polished. Friend that lives a few miles over is a smith- does a fair bit of rust bluing on older SXS shotguns- and does a nice job with it.

5. Medtac

Medtac New Member

Couldn't find the kroil so I used PB Buster. Sprayed it down last night and put a little elbow grease behind a 3m pad

Attached Files: