Register your M4?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by clr8ter, Feb 1, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

A guy I work with said his son got a letter from the ATF stating that he had 30 days to send in the numbers on his M4, or face a search and seizure. This is related to Obama's list, (6 or so guns named specifically, he couldn't remember which ones). I am assuming we're talking about the civilian version of the M4, or course. A quick internet search led to nothing, no list or anything. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

2. Raeuber

Raeuber New Member

What state do you, or your coworkers son live?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm interested in hearing more on this. All I have for input at the moment is...don't play games with the atf.

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Are you sure it isn't a class-III version (i.e. real M4)?

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

yeah did somoene forget to enter the serial numbers on a class III application and they approved it by mistake and now want the numbers?

That be my guess at a most realistic scenario.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

This is in NH. Are you guys referring to something like a Lightening Link? As far as I know, we're not talking full auto. I will check Monday morning, though. In any case, a REAL M4 would not be ownable in civilian hands, period, no?

^^^Words to live by.......

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

It would be ownable as a NFA/Class III Gun.

Which requires registartion by serial number w/ ATF, extra backgound check, extra Taxes etc.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

As far as I was aware.....Any select-fire firearm manufactured after May 1986 is not able to be owned by a civilian, with some possible manufacture's exceptions.....this would (possibly) not include a lightening link. (Which would turn a semi-auto into a full auto only firearm.)

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

But you can buy one made before that date, at least federal law permits, who knows about NH. Since the guy claims it's the ATF it sounds like a NFA matter not some local thing about semiauto ARs.

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

We also have a NFA/Class 3 forum that covers this subject in depth :)

11. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

He could have an SBR, and they need him to register it

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

clr8ter

I think I would want more information about this issue. Did they send him a certified letter or call him. If they called who called? If a letter be sure the return information is valid. Person's name and ATF Office location. I got a call during Operation Fast and Furious from a lady from the ATF asking if in the past while with an AR Company as National LE and Govt Sales Training Director. If I had ever had the occasion to transfer a certain weapon serial number XXXXXXX. I advised if they would give me 24 hours I would research. They advised that would be fine! They advised they were with the ATF at the National Headquarters. And if I found the information could I Fax it to a Fax number XXXXXXXXX which she provided. So after hanging up I called the ATF Office and asked if a certain lady was there and if I could Fax her some information at the following Fax number. They advises yes she works in our office and her fax number was verified at the office. I did transfer the AR-15 in Fort Worth Texas to an Officer in 2006. So do some investigation as to the entire situation and verify it is truly the ATF. The class III issue is a serious issue if that is the case. So do not mess with them on it if something was logistically in error.
    Have your son get it taken care of ASAP!;)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Regarding the letter- show me. Something is not right, and NO- the President cannot simply declare that a given firearm is magically an NFA firearm. THAT is established by law- the 1934 National Firearms Act. The President has no authority to MAKE law, nor to CHANGE law by an Executive Order. Period.

Regarding a TRUE M4 carbine- they are select fire (tri-burst) and NOT transferrable to a private citizen. They were not made until AFTER the cutoff date for registration of full auto firearms (May 1986).
    \
    You could have something that LOOKS like an M4- you could have an M4 upper on a full auto lower that was registered before the end date- but you will not have a true M4.

14. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I sold all of mine to some guy . Sorry cant help ya mr ATF .

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

This is what I thought to be true regarding an M4. Please everyone go back and read my OP. Not MY son, the son of a guy I work with. I have stated all of the info I have, will inquire further Monday. I do not believe we are talking about a full auto firearm, though, or even an SBR. Also, as far as I'm aware, you do not get to receive or put together an SBR or full auto and THEN transfer it, or get the stamp, that has to be done 1st.....

BTW, in NH, we are allowed to have pretty much anything the Feds say we can have. NH is a very non-restrictive state. Mass. makes up for it. I am also wondering if there are any anti-gun groups that are sending letters hoping to screw with people, and collect/get them to give up info......

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013