Regional dialects

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 25, 2020.

1. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

But I definitely thought that when I lived in New Mexico. New Mexico and New England are quite a bit different- for one thing, there ain’t a lot of trees out there- in New England I bet we have 50 times more trees than people.

boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  2. BullMoose429

Just googled it- there are roughly 3 times as many trees in Maine alone than there are people on earth.

boatme98 likes this.

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

We just call it Krogs.. or K-roger's

Mercator, boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

Dont know if its dialect.. but when i was out in Cali, on cloudy days they would say "we have the marine layer" so i call cloudy days that here now...lol. And in Florida they have "silver alerts" On electronic road signs for when the old folks get lost

5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

North Georgia dialect isn't much different than Memphis dialect. A Coke is a Coke, A beer joint is a beer joint. Your ride is your ride and your pad is your pad. The only thing they got me on was the term "halfback". They stumped me on that one. Turns out a 'halfback" is a "snowbird" that moves to Florida, leaves for some reason, too hot, too redneck, whatever, but doesn't go all they way back to New England, they wind up halfway back in Northern Georgia, "halfback".

It's not a term of endearment around here either. ;)

6. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Not neccessarily North Dakota specific but more so midwestern/plains speak:
    Yeah no
    Ope!
    Tromp on it
    Give 'er the onion
    'Til hell won't have it
    And when someone says "sorry," the standard response is: "no you're fine" or if you're a bit less refined like me it's "nah you're good"

boatme98 and BullMoose429 like this.
  7. BullMoose429

Does Yeehaw get said a lot or have I been watching too many westerns?

8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Kroger is a brand at Dillion’s grocery store here;)

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I love the slang and accent of the Aussies. Pavement pizza? Technicolor tawn? Bloke? Barbie? Gobsmacked?
    Yes. I think it’s more like Nawlinz.
    Chicagoans definitely have a distinct accent. Sahsig rather than sauce-Idge. That gets the most laughs when I speak. Also coke for any carbonated soft drink. Or soda rather than pop.
    We had silver alerts in Illinois and here in Oklahoma.

rn-cindy likes this.
  10. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

That's a southern thing. Our version of it is "Wooo!" or a more gutteral scream of "yeeeahh!" Kinda like Howard Dean did it:

Rifling82 and BullMoose429 like this.
  11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have lived my life in NH and Maine and the only other State I would include as "New England is VT. Anything south or west of the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont border is considered "commie land"! And here we do not have an accent!

boatme98 and BullMoose429 like this.
  12. BullMoose429

But you still have cowboys right? When I think of North Dakota I think of a cowboy riding his horse through the badlands. Stereotype- yes- but don’t tell me that when you think of Maine you don’t think of a mountain man riding a moose eating a lobster.

13. BullMoose429

Western and Central MA are New England- they’re just occupied by Boston

Pasquanel likes this.
  14. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend from Long Island, been in Ohio 10+ years still has the LonG Island accent. My cousin moved to Long Island when she graduated college for a job, she came home for Christmas sounding like Ray Romano. Some accents may be easier to lose than others!

JTJ and winds-of-change like this.
  15. F4U

Not sure how accurate this is never living in the south, but it is entertaining!

16. BullMoose429

I thought it was Long Gisland

locutus and winds-of-change like this.
  17. F4U

You may be right, there are a lot of Gs either way.

winds-of-change and BullMoose429 like this.
  18. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

many years back a French executive of Air France went to Atlanta. she was appalled when she heard "Ay-er Frayuns, kin ah he'p ya"

she sent in a language coach. taught the employees to say "Ai Fwawnce" just like a Parisian.

next time she was in Atlanta, she walked up to the counter and was greeted with "Ai Fwawnce. kin ah he'p ya"

JTJ and boatme98 like this.
  19. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

North side old school Polish/Italian:

"Gimme two or tree a dis an dat. An a coupla doze."

My mother who grew up in STL says "warsh" instead of "wash". She calls the US capital "Warshington".

It took me a few years of living in California to stop calling the city "Chicawgo". That might be STL I picked up from my mother too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You know it, Dave. My Dad who grew up in a Polish/Russian neighborhood, used to say “battree” and “yoots”.

boatme98 likes this.