Refurbishing a Colt .45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by brinky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. brinky

brinky New Member

Im looking to refurbish my Colt .45 MK IV/ SERIES '70 with just a new paint job and just a touch up on it. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That almost looks like Jim Clark's work.

I would not do a thing except cleaning.

3. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Agreed keep it cleaned and dont touch it. 1 if you refinish it, it will hurt the value. 2 it looks great with the wear and it looks period correct leave it be.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'll buy that old, junked up 1911 and you can buy a shiney new one.

P.S. The sight looks like what they used to use in Bullseye shooting before the general switch to red dot sights. If the gun has been set up for Bullseye shooting it's probably a pretty sweet gun.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. Donn

Donn Active Member

I've got a Series 70 MkIV too. As others have suggested, leave it alone.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I would recommend sending it back to Colt to have the rollmarks redone and have them reblue the gun.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Wassamatta wit it as is???:p:p:p

8. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I would leave it alone except for a good cleaning.

9. brinky

brinky New Member

Another thing is its only a 6 round magazine, would you think there would be any extended or not even a extended mag but just something that has 10 round in the magazine..

10. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

First of all don't touch it. I have a 70 Series Combat Commander in hard chrome. It's one of the rarer ones. I was told the same thing. I'm
    Not a fan of the sights because they are hard chromed as well, but I just deal with it. I don't want to ruin a classic.all I have done is replace the grips. You should be able to find a Colt 8 rounder. I got a few for mine.

Attached Files:

11. brinky

brinky New Member

Yeah mine is government issued and i would just like a larger mag because even though i only need 1 bullet but a larger magazine would be nice.

12. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

They make a 7 rounder too.

13. brinky

brinky New Member

yeah well mine is Government Issue from Vietnam and it was passed down to me and yeah id like to put some grips on it and try and get a bigger magazine.

14. rurak

rurak New Member

Those are some beautiful pistols gentlemen

15. brinky

brinky New Member

Would you think that there would be any universal .45 auto mags that would fit in my pistol?!

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of manufacturers make mags for full size 1911s. There are 8 rounders that fit close to flush. There are also extended mags that hold 10 rounds with a stop that keeps you from pushing them in too far and damaging the feed lips.

Wilson, Chip McCormick, Tripp research. Are just a few.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yes. Most single stack .45 mags are interchangable, but to avoid problems get good quality. I use Chip McCormik mags mostly.

18. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

If you don't like it, i will gladly take her off your hands

19. brinky

brinky New Member

oh no, no trust me it's a family military heirloom I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. But yes i would like a extended 10 round mag what manufacturer would you recommend for a extended 10 round mag?

20. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

McCormick, wilson combat, kimber. No promags or metalform though, they're junk