Refishing aluminum with anodized finish

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Kenney, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Anything quality for under $50?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on the size of the part and how much prepwork the finisher has to do. if they have to remove old finish on a large part its more pricey than a smaller one. if its unfinished and fairly small you might be in the ball park.

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Any way to do it myself? I want to do the whole thing.

4. Kenney

Kenney New Member

And I meant removing the old anodized finish. Don't like polymer guns or ones that look like it.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Awesome link. Definitely need to be careful doing that. High amps and acid are no joke.

7. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Thanks. Any idea how to remove a anodized coat?

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Being just a surface layer I'd imagine you could sand it off. Just guessing, never dealt with applying or removing.

9. Kenney

Kenney New Member

And any suggestions for a new finish?

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

What are you removing it from? Anodizing provides surface hardening if I'm not mistaken. Removing it could weaken the part

11. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Like I said. Polymer guns and those that look like it piss me off. I don't have many rules concerning my guns but that's a big one. There's just no love. How much weakening would we be talking about?

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

According to that link it surface hardens to the point of being brittle and shouldn't be used on impact parts. If you're talking about sanding the finish off a slide I don't think it would be an issue. But as I said I'm just guessing.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Re-anodizing isnt generally a good idea on something likea berrreta 92 they are already fairly weak to begin with. Based on other posts im assuming thats the gun in question.

I think your better off looking at duracoat or one of the other spray finishes. Typically you only anodize once.

If that is damaged its typically spray finished somehow instead of redoing the anodize.

14. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Could I polish it, go over it with a fine iron wool for a stainless steel look and seal it with a clear finish maybe?

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yup. Removing the anodize by polishing wont hurt long as your not removing metal from frame or slide rails or other places that need to maintain dimensional accuracy

Just be very careful aluminum is not a very strong metal when it comes to abrasive action. It acts like copper gold and brass in that it scores very easily.

Before you do it on your gun i would suggest finding out what grade aluminum it is then find a sample to practice on first

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  16. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Dumb question of the day, how?

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Anodized aluminum doesn't look anything like polymer.
    It seems you are determined to seriously devalue your gun by defacing it yourself. Why not have a professional refinish it for you? Doing it yourself will almost guarantee that you will damage the gun.
    Your frame can be plated with electroless nickel, or reanodized in any color, including clear.

18. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

Send it to usanodizing.com for hard coat. $100

19. Kenney

Kenney New Member

What are the ways to refinish it without "defacing" it? Preferably at a reasonable price.

20. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

What are you wanting to refinish? And when you mention the "polymer" look, are you meaning the matte finish you see on pretty much every pistol these days?

To answer your question about removing the old finsh, have it bead blasted.. Glass beads are about the safest way to remove the finish off aluminum without harming the metal. Anything else will remove some of the metal to a lesser or greater degree depending on the material you use i.e.: sandpaper, aluminim oxide, etc.. 0000 steal wool is your best choice for "polishing" the metal without removing metal.

For putting a new finish on your firearm, Duracoat is a very good choice or anything that can be used on aluminum or alloy metals.