Refinishing a rifle stock

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by kymike, Mar 24, 2012.

1. kymike

kymike New Member

While I have my rifle broke down I'd like to refinish my stock. It has some carvings in it and not sure how to take care of these areas. It is a glenfield model 70 and has an engraving of a squirrel.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on how deep it is. its not easy to fill in wood and not see the carving. even with fill the lines are going to be obvious with something that large. if its very shallow then just a even sanding might do it.

pics would help since there are much better wood workers than i here you might get a more informative answer from them with pics of the issue

3. kymike

kymike New Member

I'm wanting to keep the carvings. Would I just lightly sand that area. I'll try and post pics

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try a paint stripper made for wood, and when it is ready to remove use a course nylon brush to remove the finish from the carvings and checkering. might have to use a couple or several attempts to remove all the finish. then lightly sand, avouding the carvings and checkering. clean and allow to air dry at least 8-12 hours before staining or applying any coatings to the wood.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Oh, i misunderstood. Your going to have to do some sanding to get rid of the stain if your looking to change colours radically. The more gritty the paper the more its going to cut into the wood.

I would try light sanding with 600+ grit in that area. There are some chemical strippers that will remove the finish without sanding.

Thats the best i got. Im still a noob at stock finishing ive only done one so far. If you havent done it before i would recomend practice refinishing something you dont care too much about.

Im currently working on a cheap mosin 91/30 as my first project. If i screw it up and the finish peels off or something im only out time and a 100$ on the gun... so far it seems to be going well.

Maybe that will help ya.

6. kymike

kymike New Member

image-3344739818.jpg

This is the stock

7. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I refinished a model 60 for my sister with the exact pressed squirell. Long ago i learned by laying a wet rag on a dent in wood and putting hot iron on it the dent would come out. But I also discovered it makes the varnish on old finishes come off to. My sister bought a real beater for 30 bucks and brought it to me. I had to sweat a number of dents out and
    refinish the whole stock.I used the wet wash rag and iron to remove the varnish off the squirell also. Once i sanded and got the stock ready i used a red stain my sister wanted and it came out very nice and the squirell and surrounding pressed areas came out slightly darker and looks real good.
    The suggestion of the stripper and stiff brush does work also I have done that with checkering and it works real good.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

STEP AWAY FROM THE SANDPAPER

You will wind up removing wood, which is very hard to put back.

Hardware store. Formby's Refinisher. It is not a stripper- dissolves and redistributes the finish. Be careful, stuff if flammable- use nitrile gloves, not rubber.

Dollar store- 5 toothbrushes for a buck. Use to scrub the carvings with the refinisher.

There are several good oil finishes- I like low gloss tung oil. Same place you get the refinisher.

And yes, a DENT in wood can be raised by using an damp cloth and a clothes iron. If the wood fibers are bent, they will unbend. If cut, no.

9. kymike

kymike New Member

I have done the iron and wash cloth before. I have refinished a bit of furniture and have done that. It does work great. Mayonnaise will also take out water marks.

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Judging by the picture, I am going to assume the rest of the stock is in the same condition.. I agree with C3 when he states to stay away from the sand paper... My suggestion is to use a stripper used for wood and remove the entire finish that is currently on the stock.. You may or may not need to stain it.. (glenfield stocks were not stained usually) depends on your preferences... Select your type of finish either tung oil or boiled lindseed oil (tung oil will be a better choice for moisture protection but has more gloss than BLO).. In either case, hand rub it in for best application..

One thing to remember is that your rifle came with a hardwood stock.. Nothing fancy like walnut etc so it's pretty much an open canvas. If you must "sand" on the wood to remove any hairs left from the stripping process, use 0000 steal wool to remove them.. (wood hairs is what I'm refering to).. Good luck. Lemme know if you need anymore help.. I've done many stock refinishing jobs over the years for myself and others.

For anyone wondering why I say to strip completely? You might just be amazed at how pretty the hardwood stocks are when you remove that factory spray on finish..;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

C3 and the OldMan pretty much mirror my thoughts on stripping the stock and the process of doing it. another point i will add, is Marlin used for many years a clear finish on their stocks called MarShield. it may take a couple of applications of stripper to remove this finish as it is pretty tough. i just refinished my M60 several months ago and it took three applications to remove all of it. i did sand mine down lightly before applying the stain, but mine had no checkering or engravings on it.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

start with alcohol to clean off the dirt and oil several wipe downs stay away from the sandpaper. next what kind of finish did it have and what do you want now?