Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by rifleman55, Mar 19, 2011.

1. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I bought a Marlin 44 mag that was a truck gun, finish mostly worn off, a couple cracks, bluing missing or pitted and the buttstock had 1" cut off and a Win but pad on it.
    It worked perfect so for $200. it was mine.
    No before pics, but here is a couple of after pics.
    I just wish the forend was darker, too much sap wood, but it looks darker and better in person.
    The metal was hand polished and the stock re finished with Velvit Oil.

John K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Beautiful gun. Great job on refinishing it. I also like the way you displayed it!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It looks great. What did you do for a finish on the steel besides polishing it?

4. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Just used finer and finer grades of sandpaper on a block, ending up with 1500 grit that I rub togather before use to take most of the grit off.
    The barrel and mag tube were shoe shine polished with strips of sandpaper.
    When I was satisified in was mark free, I took it to a frinds shop, cleaned the metal very well and put it in the bluing tanks.
    After it was done and came out of the oil tank, I let it sit for 4 days to really let the bluing take before cleaning up the parts, re oiling and assembling the rifle.
    A few parts took a little draw filing prior to sanding. It just takes a lot of time. A sanding board behind the sand paper on the flats stops the metal from being dished and keeps the edges sharp.
    There were places like around the loading port where the metal was too low to polish with a board behind the sand paper, then you do that part by hand.
    On some guns, if you don't have to take too much metal off, you can make the whole flat, flat. This one would have required too much metal to be removed to do that.

My Best, John K

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That's a great looking rifle! One day I'll ad a 44 mag lever gun to my collection. A 357 too.

6. CA357

I wish I had a friend with bluing tanks. :eek:

7. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

It does make it easier if you have tanks, but there are a lot of smiths that will blue it for you (except Kalif). You can do all the polishing and then send the rifle.
    I use SavageGunsmithing
    They do a good job and I have no doubt that if you preped the rifle, they would charge you a reasonable rate to just drop it in the tanks.
    I would buy a bottle of Hold from Brownells and spray it down before shipping, right after you are done with the polishing to insure that no surface rust got on the parts.
    You will get fine surface rust very quickly if you don't protect the metal.

Your other option is to buy one tank from brownells, big enough to hold the rifle and use a camp stove to heat the water and do a rust blue job. It takes some time, but a rust blue is so darn beautiful. You usually only polish to about a 400 grit with the rust blue, it does not take well on super smooth polished surfaces, but it produces the finest bluing you will ever see.
    It does take a little time to do as you have to apply the solution as many times as it takes to get the color you want. You rub down the gun with fine steel wool, put boil the gun, put more solution on the metal, it will rust right away, let it sit per instructions, boil it again and just keep doing this until you get the nice dark bluing that you want.

I have rust blued many guns, it takes some time, but is not hard to do at home. Brownells has the rust blue solutions.
    The gun comes out blue, not black like regular bluing. looks like the guns of old.

John K

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  8. CA357

Thanks John, I'll have to look into it.

9. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

Great job, very nice looking rifle !!!

10. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Beautiful gun Rifleman, a .44mag lever gun and revolver are on my short term buying list along with a good Shotgun and sporterizing my Mauser. If you dont mind me askin how much do you have in it total?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

That is beautiful! I lust after a .357 lever myself.

Nice moose!

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rifleman,

Great Job and what a beautiful Rifle!

13. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Thanks guys, it just took a lot of hours to get the finish looking good.

I like bringing an old beater back from the dead.
    The rifle was so ugly, it was a shame. When it was offered for sale at a good price, I saw a diamond in the rough.
    I'm a sucker for bringing beaters home and re finishing them. A good part of the time I'll sell them, but I don't have a 44 mag lever action in the stable, so this one stays. Besides, you don't see a lot of brass ring models around. They are not really collectable, but it gives them a nice look.

I have a 44M mossy on the way as well as a marlin 22 on the way. Both are in very good condition, I'm looking forward to getting those two. No refinish for them.

My Best, John K

14. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Great looking rifle. Thank you for sharing photos.

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Have you thought about taking a torch to it to burn it slightly? I did this with a .22 stock I recently refinished. I wasn't happy with how light it was so I burnt the finish just a little and put another couple of coats on after that. It turned out great. I will try to post some pics tonight.

I think it looks great, by the way.

16. Soldier

Soldier New Member

well done

Good job. I will use your information on my .44 mag hand gun. Thanks