Refinished Mauser 1916 .308 - Tru Oil

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by vnhill1981, Feb 6, 2011.

1. vnhill1981

vnhill1981 New Member

This gun was given to me in bad shape, but the rifling was still in excellent condition. I had to stain the wood to get it to match, because two different types were used. There were rust pits in the barrel under the wood. These were filled in with JB Weld, sanded, and all metal parts were then coated in Graphite Black Cerakote. The only piece I could not refinish was the back sling holder because someone used a nail and glue to stick it in the stock. I refinished the front sight post guard as well, but left it off because I do use this gun (with Remington Managed recoil rounds) and this opens the front sight post alot. I used a triangle file to further deepen the rear sight notch so that the field of vision is more open.

Attached Files:

2. vnhill1981

vnhill1981 New Member

Also, no dents were raised of notches filled, because I wanted to maintain the "used Look" of the rifle.

3. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

That looks great. I take it the Cerakote didn't have a negative affect on the JB Weld? I have three VZ24 receivers that have pitting at the top of the receiver ring where the handguard was removed and planned to do just as you mentioned. I was concerned the Cerakote would soften the JB.

4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Great job restoring that old abused Mauser! It looks great.

5. vnhill1981

vnhill1981 New Member

JB Weld seems to be holding fine, no signs of it softening that I can tell.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice work, it looks good.

7. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I second that.