Refinish Project #2

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by MrCarson, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

Im in gunsmithing school semester one, for semester one we're doing refinishing. I know the stock & trigger guard are hideous but semester too we do stocks and then I can change all that. My first firearm was done all by hand this one was done using buffers. This being the first time I've ever used a buffer I'm happy with it. Its a stevens 58B .410

image.jpg

2. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

Here is some before and after

image.jpg

3. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

And another before and after

image.jpg

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Nice work. Why did you leave the bolt body in the white?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

6. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

Thank you!

My instructor had asked me the same thing. I thought since the bolt would get worn and would end up getting scuffed up. Now that it's all put together I regret it. Lesson learned and its mine so no biggie. Had it been someone else's I would absolutely redo it.

7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That's what is known as "character" and is a part of the guns history. ;)

Nothing wrong with doing it that way if that is what floats your boat. You'll just need to keep it well protected from any rust formation. I've done the same sort of thing on 1 or 2 guns of my own and just put a high polish on them. Generally I like to restore firearms to their original scheme though.

What type of bluing method do they have you guys using?

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

There is nothing wrong with keeping the body of the bolt in the white MrCarson. I do it all the time and so do other gunsmiths (check out nearly every bolt body that's been jeweled). What you find is after giving the steel a good polish, it will not rust near as quick as without polish. I did the same when refinishing a CZ-82 and it's stayed rust free for several years even with being stored in my Pelican case. :)

Would you mind sharing what gunsmithing school you're attending?

Good work btw ;)