Featured References for License to Carry Firearms PA

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by SM84, Oct 15, 2020 at 2:34 PM.

1. SM84

SM84 New Member

Hi

I want to apply for an LTCF in PA and I was wondering what are some ways to get references.

It says that family cannot be considered but what is the definition of family? Meaning up to what degree/level is the family connection applicable? What if the person is like a very far away connection like a cousin of my cousin?

Any other suggestions to find references?

Also, if I am a reference for someone, am I responsible if the person is involved in a shooting incident?

I am new to this and was hoping to get some information.

Thanks.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Regarding references: it's a fair assumption that "family" means someone related by blood to you. I would guess that'd apply to distant cousins the same as it would for father, mother, siblings and "close" relations.

If someone asks you to be a reference for them, no you're not vouching for that person and responsible for that person's behaviors. Reference-checking is merely an attempt by those reviewing the references to determine if there's some risk elements they had not yet uncovered, by getting someone else's opinion. (Same as, say, application for employment at Company X, where your history involves Company Y previously; it's not as though Company Y would be liable for you being a dud, any more than you'd be liable for someone's criminal misbehavior simply because you chimed in on your impressions of that person.)

How to find references? You'll need to look to your network of friends, colleagues, associates. Outside of blood relations (family) apparently.

3. SM84

SM84 New Member

Thanks @G66enigma, That's what I assumed as well. By any chance do you have any links or references to validate the above like a section of the law or penal code. I am just trying to educate my self as I am learning that seeking an LTCF and perhaps owning a firearm is a huge responsibility.

4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's a good initial reference, as a place to start: Handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf.

Use that to then dive into all of the statutes in the state you're unfamiliar with. (That PDF has links to many of the PA state statutes.)

Specifically, follow all the links underneath the "Pennsylvania CCW Links" section. That'll take you do the various statutes, the various county sheriffs' websites that describe specific requirements and details, and so on.

Definitely, head to the state's specific legislation/laws sites, online, to see the current statutes directly. Use the above links only as an overview reference for the start of your own research into what's actually written and the standards your state has for carrying, for self-defense, defense of others, defense of property, and the limitations the state you live in places on you when acting in such ways.

If you haven't already and you're a newbie when it comes to shooting and particularly to carrying, then by all means do yourself a favor and pick up one of the following two books:

In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob -- this is the 1980s vintage book he first wrote on the use of deadly force and self-defense laws.

Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry, by Massad Ayoob -- basically, the second version of In The Gravest Extreme. This one's more current, in its second edition IIRC.

Either is worth every penny. It'll help you understand the essential responsibility of carrying, training, ensuring safe handling and operation.