Reference Material and good reads.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by GrtWhytHype, Feb 27, 2013.

1. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Hey folks,
    I'm on a hunt for books. Looking primarily for Ruger reference material, collectors info and guides, as well as catalogs and pricing material.

Also looking for good reads on precision shooting and ballistics.

Wouldn't be mad if I got a good recommendation for history reads.

2. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Also, you don't necessarily have to have it to give or sell to me. I just need some suggestions. I'll track them down. That's just as fun as collecting the guns themselves. :) thanks everyone.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The bluebook of gun values tells a brief history of makers, and some models.

The shooters bible lists new models, with handy ballistics charts for popular factory loads.

Edit: I was at an ollies outlet today. If you can find one, they have lots of discount books. One I saw today was "Bill Ruger and his guns". $8

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

P O Ackley, "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders"; Phillip B. Sharp, "Complete Guide to Handloading"; Frank De Haas, "Bolt Action Rifles"

They are a bit dated, but laid the foundation for modern rifles and ballistics.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Dated?? I love those books.
    The Rifle in America by Sharpe
    English Rifles by George

Both will give you a good history on what we have today.

6. string1946

string1946 New Member

Pricing guides

I like the Standard Catalog of Firearms and the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms. Blue Book is good but almost no picture if your trying to identify a firearm. The two above are loaded with pictures. I also have a book titled "Ruger & His Guns, A history of the man, the company and their firearms." Its a coffee table type book but has a lot of the history.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013