Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Redarrow18, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

So, on a new episode of the Discovery channel's Son's of Guns show last night, they made the "first" AK Sniper Rifle, capable of accurate 1000 yard shots, and what's making me weirded out is that the AK being around for like 60 years(?) no one has made a 1000 yard AK? What they did was just take the best part of the AK and A Sniper and mixed them. Don't get me wrong it was freaking sweet but I didn't know what it was the "first", I thought the Dragunov was an AK sniper but anyways, what do you guys think of that? ill try to find a video of the episode or pictures of the gun they made

edit: heres the website and page of the AK, my Flashplayer isn't updated enough to watch the videos but try it out
    http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons-of-guns-ak-sniper-rifle-videos/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMXpB_rAYc[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

3. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

That was what I was thinking, maybe they were talking about a modern one or something, at the end they wanted like $2800 for it i think

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Mary had a little Lamb........

At first I thought this show was going somewhere. Now it's turned to fertilizer. The same with all the shows, swamp people, one man army, So what else can they come up with to make the american public look like the idiots they are on these shows........P S Here we have a Lic. gun dealer in Baton Rouge fireing off lethal projectiles in his parking lot.......Dumb red neck or Dumb coonass.....:eek:

5. Comeswithbacon

$2800:eek:
    for a so-called 1000 yard 7.62x39mm rifle?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You notice they didn't say what caliber?

I heard it was based on the Saiga .308. And no one is talking about the hand rolled round that made the shot.

It was build with an aluminum bedding block behind the gasblock and tied into the receiver and trunnion. The barrel is free-float from the gasblock forward.

Harmonic's and stability made the 1,000 yard shot doable along with an experienced shooter on the trigger.

And the show got the price wrong. They had $3,800.00 into the build.

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Take My Daughter Please...

M1 Garrand If you please, Oh and by the by my uncle brought home a JAP rifle and a bloody jap flag taken on the Island of Okinawa, USMC. He was one of many, and the first wave to hit the Island.......He killed the sniper that was killing those around him..........To this day the family still owns the rifle and the flag of the Jap that took american lives on that Island.....

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I like how everything they shoot EXPLODES in true hollywood fashion. :rolleyes:
    Yeah ,that's what guns can do ,joe public......... :rolleyes:

9. Comeswithbacon

You quoted me and told me the story why exactly?

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I really tried to have a positive outlook on this show as well, but it is quickly fading. The triple AR was a joke too. Just way too out there and impractical. I'm gonna watch a few more episodes in hopes that they do some real projects that demonstrate some craftsmanship, but I don't see it.

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Sliders......

It was a slip of the Thumb...........

12. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

i think the whole idea of the episode was to take a stock ak-47 and turn it into a 1000 yard gun. as for it being the first, who knows. but i havent seen any ak-47s modified to shoot that long range and be as accurate as the one they had. but it seems the shop makes guns for rich idiots. the first episode i saw they made a shoulder fired .30 cal machine gun for some guy that looked like he wanted the hollywood effect. he purely modified for the cool guy factor. i think they may have said something about a competition but i dont know of any competitions that would use a gun like that. but i can see some retard buying his "triamese" m4 thing for some heinous price and doing so just because they can.

13. Comeswithbacon

I too had a had a positive outlook at the begining, but one to many slip ups and it was gone.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 7.62x39 drops 67.5 feet at 1000 yards with a muzzle energy of 200ftlbs.

i seriously dont think they were using a 7.62x39. ive read elsewhere it was a 7.62nato chambered saiga.

15. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

you know i dont remember if they said what caliber they used, they made the barrel out of a Match Grade one and added it to an AK upper, they probably did say what caliber it was, I'd have to go rewatch the episode, they modded the Trigger as well

and on the Triple M-16, I thought it was cool, very impractical, but cool, I wouldn't pass up shootin one :p

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It was based off a Saiga 308,you could tell by looking at the magazine when they had the gun disassembled on the table.

That show makes me laugh,they act like they are the only ones in the world with the smarts to do any of the BS that they do.
    It really takes a MIT graduate to empty the shot out of a 410 shell and insert an arrow into it and fire it inside a building filled with a film crew and your employee's.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

just wait next week they are putting idiotic motorcycle handle bars on a 1919 machine gun with those inbred morons from american choppers. watching that episode now and they are acting like there are no semi auto sniper rifles. just idiotic

18. Comeswithbacon

anyway, they said its the first 1000 yard ak, BULL

19. 75370

75370 New Member

I'd understand why he thinks we need another sniper, but I'm no expert on the subject.
    I do know we already have 2 in service right now, and they both shoot better then the group his "Expert" shot, which was slightly under an inch @ 100 yds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Every show they make makes us all look just a little bit worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.