Red Jacket Firearms

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by redman4264, Jan 18, 2014.

1. redman4264

redman4264 New Member

Seen a red jacket ar15 at Academy for $1300, has anyone had experience with these. It looked to be of good quality and fit. Was all magpul furniture. These are supposed to be custom build in Baton Rouge, LA. as I am sure most have seen there show. I am looking into my first AR15 and wondering if this is a good choice....

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

For that same money, I'd go with Colt, or one of the other top-tier manufacturers, myself. You're probably paying a lot for the name. Someone will be along shortly to completely flame Red Jacket. Not sure I'd have to disagree with that….

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I didn't know Red Jacket was still in business.
    Without knowing model or specs, it's hard to judge. However, based on their previous attempt at a 1911, I'd be willing to bet that you can do a LOT better for that money.
    Is it this one?: http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/in...&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4
    I'm no expert on ARs, but there doesn't appear to be anything special justifying the high price.
    For that amount or less, I'd steer you to a Colt as well. There's a world full of good rifles out there for under a $1K. Seriously, keep looking.
    I own a Rock River and would recommend it as well. Admittedly not the ultimate in value for money, but IMHO, still way ahead of Red Jacket.

I suggest that you hit some of the Stickies in the AR section. Lots of excellent knowledge to be had.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-introductions-ars-101-a-62477/
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/understanding-barrel-twist-bullet-weights-44557/
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

4. redman4264

redman4264 New Member

That would be it. I have been lurking and reading ALOT on here and other places. I have been interested in Spikes, Windham, and Colt. Also looked at others like PSA ect. Just I never see anyone who has one of these from Red Jacket except on you tube and not much info out there. I figured it would be nothing special beside the name and support of a small company. Honestly I would rather spend $900 on a decent rifle and use the rest to add optics, ect.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Total skip. Your paying above psa/colt/Bcm prices for carbon15 quality.

If you have a problem with redjacket builds, and you will, you will be blamed by the owner for the shtty build quality and every excuse given not to fix it. Same thing applies to rguns.

Scummy doesn't begin to truly describe that company

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think alot of the price is marketing and advertising. i would buy a Colt or something else before buying Red Jacket.

8. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

been watching old re-runs of that show on netflix. mind numbing entertainment at best (well, maybe not its best)....:eek:

as far as their guns i dunno......

1300 puts you in the range of some very proven AR's with years of solid reputation. do your research and make your best choice. its your money!

good luck!

9. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

You would be much better off building one at that price. Red jackets rifles may be high quality but ur paying for them to build the gun cause they our pro gunsmiths. That being said the price from the start will be higher. Building is the way to go. For one you really learn your rifle when your building one so when something goes south later on down the road you will have a good ideal on how to fix the problem cause u already have some experience. Plus your building ur own gun to ur likings so chances our there's not anther one just like it. That's what makes it special cause it's ur own personal build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. Axxe55

i agree. for $1300 and building your own, would get you a really top notch build when finished with quality parts.

plus building gets you the rifle thatis made for you, because you built it to the specs that make it suited to your needs or wants.

but even if he buys, i think for that amount, there are many more better proven rifles to buy. IMO, some of that cost is the name.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

These are the same guys who wanted to make the "1000 yard AK"?

'Nuff said...

12. Axxe55

Yep! the one and the same!:eek:

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

and imo, if one is going to pay for a NAME, best to pay for a name that is PROVEN.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Like clr8ter said, COLT.

15. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Man, carbon 15 getting beat up again.....lol

16. Bevo

Bevo New Member

I know I'm going to get beaten up for this, but..... I've owned an RJF KMP-DI for two years (didn't pay that much though) and it's a fine piece of equipment. It's accurate, reliable and with a lifetime warranty. I don't know what more you could ask for. I've shot Colts and they're great but not perceptibly better than mine, IMO.

Say what you will about the show, hell I'll probably agree. But how many RJF bashers here have ACTUAL experience with them? Not many, I'd wager.

17. Axxe55

i agree with what you're saying, but marketing image is about perception. their show makes them out to appear to be a bunch of inbred rednecks! they may make a fine gun, but when your image is what people have seen on a TV show, well some people may be turned off and think that their products are of the same caliber as the people they see on the show.

18. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I'm not that expressed with red jacket to being with. They treated there best guy which is Vince like ****. Ever since he left the shows ratings went down. If the individual builds his/her own rifle they know exactly where there money is going cause they bought every part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. Bevo

Bevo New Member

That's true. I've seen lots of negativity to RJF because of the un-reality show and the real screw up with the FFL. The equipment produced is very good. Painting with such a broad brush is not necessarily a good thing. Fanboy out! :D

20. Axxe55

if i were some business that someone wanted to make a reality show out of, i would much rather be shown in as positive a manner as possible.

if you are happy with your Red jacket firearm, there is nothing wrong with that, and good to have someone with one weigh in on the subject and give some of their opinions on the product. thanks Bevo.:D