Red jacket and gunsmoke....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Wanabe, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Does anyone have any experience dealing with these brands aside from watching them on tv? Are they worth the $$? watching sons of guns I've never seen a line of builders manufacturing ARs...same goes for gunsmoke and their 1911 line. does someone else manufacture their products?

2. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

From what I heard on TV, there is a crew that is off camera that does assembly line type work or shipping. The guys on the show only do new stuff or custom jobs.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

The custom milled stuff and the integral suppressors maybe worth what they are charging. But I will say this, I had my .458SOCOM custom built by the man himself, Marty ter Weeme, and it didn't cost me anywhere near $3500! :eek:

Not to mention it is far more accurate than the one they built ;)

4. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

I personally, would avoid at all costs either of them. You're going to pay far more than you should. Red Jacket lost two of its key employees too, who moved on to form their own firm. Those are reality shows...yuck!

5. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Which ones? From the show? You know what their new company is called?

6. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I just yell at the tv everytime I see a price pop up... You can buy a 458 socom from RRA for 1,150 msrp... And that is a custom gun itself.. I think they jack the prices up on the shows and really sell the gun for much less..

And on gun smoke, they all seem to fake to me... The way they set everything up is just too far fetched,,.
    Like if you fly a helicopter to the middle of a field and there just happens to be a safe full of dynamite there... Come on we all know that wouldn't fit in a helicopter.. And if it did it would be way to heavy,.

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I know they lost Vince from this weeks episode. Don't know who the other one is.

8. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

Mesa Kinetic Research - Home

But why would you buy from them? You can buy or build a perfectly great firearm for far less than these groups would ever offer?

9. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Just curious.
    im not going for names and recognition

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

nope thats the price they sell for you can see it on their websites. arsenal makes a MUCH better AK than redjacket for a lot less. just about anyone with the ability to order a AR15 from RRA, colt, lwrc, DD, BCM, PSA etc get a better AR than red jacket can make for a more fair price.

their suppressors are little better than a threaded pipe from lowes with holes drilled in it... get your supressors from real suppressor companies. ive seen a "red jacket" suppressor in real life and they are complete junk. what you see on tv is just that... TV.

11. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Not for nothing but I'm liking the 50 Beowulf a little more than the 458 socom or the 450 bushmaster... Just because Alexander arms is mass producing the ammo themselves... If they make the ammo expensive then no one will
    Buy it so they keep the rounds around 1.10each which is not to bad at all... Much cheaper than a 50bmg tho too!! Lol

12. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

If I had a registered full auto and I wanted something done that no one else can do, like turn it into an open/closed bolt gun or something of that nature, I might consider it. Of course that would be after I won a $100 mil or so lottery :D . Seriously, the only way I would consider doing business with them is if I needed custom work that required some machining.

13. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Why? I bet there is at lease a dozen machine shops that specialize in guns in your state. Most of them would do as good or better job then those guys. And at half the price.
    I use to work at a small gunsmith shop. We did all of our own machining. There is nothing special about what they do at red jacket (other than act like a$$ holes)

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Just for sh**s and giggles, I went to Brownells and priced EVERYTHING but the lower receiver for Red Jacket's piston gun, and came up with a grand total of $1399.00. All the parts Red Jacket had listed by brand name are at Brownells. Their version cost $2285.00. That means you can save yourself $786 or so by building it yourself, depending on what you pay for your serial number upper. I guess you are paying extra for the entertainment from the show:rolleyes:

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's really interesting, fsted2a! No doubt their individual parts are marked up as well but surprisingly not as much as the complete rifle. Probably because of inventory shrinkage due to pilferage and breaking so much stuff trying to figure out how to put it together! :p

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Red Jacket buys parts from Brownells just like we do,and they buy alot of Magpul stuff too. So when your buying something from them your paying brownells price plus whatever extra Red Jacket bumps it to. Theres no since in paying close to double for something just because its "Red Jacket"

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nothing either one of these have done has impressed me. usually i have changed the channel before the first commercial break! they are IMO, in it for the drama, not reality as us common folk know about.

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I think their episodes are at least a year old by the time you see them, as I have seen that particular gun on their site about a year, and they just had the episode last week in which they finished building it. What bugs the sh** out of me is that the guy that was put in charge of putting it together on the show had made so many newbie mistakes it is unreal. But you are right. I think the expenses related to the show, such as blowing stuff up, the indoor range, etc, are tacked on to the price of their guns.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

+1

they arent even mediocre machinists...

my second job was running a lathe mill drill press and punch press.

i wouldnt hire em to punch out fake slugs for the soda machine.

20. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

Tromix was the first real guy to convert the S-12 8" SBS.
    Check out the SBS MKA 1919 shotgun.