red dots

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15number1, May 20, 2011.

1. ar15number1

ar15number1 New Member

just bought my first ar15 .223 and was wondering what are some good red dots scopes for it, like I said its my first ar and not to familiar with the accesseries for them. Ive read the vortex is a good bang for the buck. Also what are good lights magnifiers, vertical handles, lights.

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Sights, AimPoint, Trijicon. Get ready to drop, at the very least, in the mid 400.00s. Welcome to the world of ARs.

3. shnorse

shnorse New Member

i love my eotech...

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Bushnell's Trophy line of red-dots are great for the $$$. You'll spend about half of an aimpoint or eotech.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have to agree with Diggs, Bushnell's Trophy series is holding up for me. I'm very pleased with two of their TRS-25 Aimpoint micro clones and not a single problem so far. One's about 9 months old and the other 6 and plenty sturdy so I don't expect problems down the road. They hold zero well and cowitness easily. My first riser shot loose but once I got something more rigid no problems. Got them at Cabelas for $80 each using two different sales. I've seen a lot of complaints that the intensity knob is too hard to turn but it's really not a big deal on either of mine.

But they are cheap RDSs so buyer beware...

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For the money a Primary Arms Micro Dot can NOT be beat. Its a Aimpoint T1/H1 copy but at a fraction of the cost. I like my H1 and the PA Micro sitting on my dedicated .22 AR. At $158 including an $80 AD QD mount its more than a bargin. I can honestly say you wont find a better optic (non-Aimpoint, EoTech, NF, Trijicon, etc.) for the price.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TMosefuud0I]YouTube - ‪Primary Arms Micro Dot Gen 3 Toss/Drop Fun‬‏[/ame]

Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

Light - G2 or similar Surefire

Magnifier - I prefer a 1x4 over a flip up magnifier behind a red dot

Foregrip - Magpul AFG as far out on the rail as possible.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That Primary Arms Micro looks good, MJ. I've been tempted to try one since I could use one more H1 clone and as you say it comes with a good mount.

Need to try a Magpul AFG, too!

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The mount its from one of the 3 top manufacturers of mounts (Larue, Bobro, ADM). I believe they make the mounts that come factory on some Aimpoints like the new PRO. Even at $150-$200 (just optic) the PA would sell. I also forgot to mention the out of this World CS Marshall provides. The only complaint I have is the knobs are slightly taller than the T1/H1.

I think you would be very happy w/ it Quentin.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Personally I like the Model 512 EOtech. It is lightning fast regarding target acquisition. To the point you do not even need to get a cheek weld in order to shoot the target. Great for slicing the pie on corners and trees and etc. For example if you were setting leaning your back against a tree and a target came in behind you. All you would need to do is lean out with the rifle or what ever weapon and as soon as you seen the dot on the target regardless of the weapon's position you can hit the target at that instant.
    1 MOA Dot that does not cover up an 4" pie plate at 100 yards. And the one MOA Dot can also be used to figure minute of angles on distant targets and the elevation of hold needed. Example if you know your round drops 2 MOA at a distance. You just hold the distance of two reticle dots high. Also it has 20 light settings to compensate for sunny, cloudy or dim light room applications. And runs over 300 + hours on one set of AA Batteries. They also have a magnifier that you can get later to bring everyhting to 3X "With out making the reticle three times larger. I remains a 1 MOA Dot.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Just wanted to add one other additional thought regarding my EOtech Suggestion. If you need to put a great sight system together with the EOTech. Look at the Rock River Arms Dominator II Sight and Rail. Once zeroed with the iron sights. You can then look over the top of the rear and the front iron sight about 1/4 ". So iron sights no longer are any type of obstruction and you are looking only at the EOTech Reticle on the target. But if the sight fails you can lower your head a 1/4" and be co-witnessing using the iron sights through the EOTech's window. No fine motor skills required to flip up a folding rear sight and no deadly time delay for the transition from the optic to the iron sights.
    We found that when a human comes under any sort of stress or threat fine motor skills dissipate or are completely gone. But regarding the Dominator Sight Rail, the good thing that happens with this set up is when we come under stress or threat human nature automatically causes us to duck the head which automatically causes us to lower our head the 1/4 inch when the O.S. factor of the sight failure!
    Should it ever happen?

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I was just trying to give him a low budget way to go, after reading his "bang for the buck" comment. If we're going to jump up to the $400 price range Id recommend a EoTech XPS or an Aimpoint CompM2. If you want to spend a little more you can't go wrong w/ a T1/H1.

Edit: Dont forget you can always purchase used. I wouldnt hesitate to drop some cash on a dicounted, used Aimpoint.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I just ordered a slightly used Bushnell Holosight for 255$. From what I read, they are the same as the EoTechs, just without the extra protection. Being that I am not taking this rifle to combat, or anything like it, the absence of the protective shroud is a non-issue for me.

Look around for these, they are discontinued, but you might be able to find a great deal.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I doubt they are the same as an EoTech minus the "extra protection". Ill have to research it though.

Edit: I did some research and although the Bushnell is not up to speed w/ current EoTech models it is basicly an EoTech. From what Ive read its a very old model (502 or 503) that EoTech has sold to Bushnell for rebranding.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=153030

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/51632-eotech-vs-holosight-2.html

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  14. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

If your firearm budget is on the smallish side like mine, then you might find my setup interesting (prices are approximate - if you are interested, I can try to get exact model numbers):

BUIS: YHM flip up (no elevation adjustment) ($80)
    Raised optic mount (for co-witness): Weaver ($40)
    Reddot sight: Konus ($70)
    bottom rail for foregrip mount - some Israeli tactical company ($15)
    Foregrip: Weaver ($40)
    Collapsible stock: Bravo Company Manufacturing ($100)

This setup works well enough for me. Obviously it isn't the extreme setup, but is good for range shooting (so far).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]