Red Dot Sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rmcmahanP345, May 21, 2012.

1. rmcmahanP345

rmcmahanP345 New Member

Looking at getting a red dot sight for my new DPMS AR-15. Looked at Aimpoint and Eotech....both a little pricey. I don't want a cheap one....just the best "bang for the buck". Any suggestions?

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Primary arms makes a micro dot clone of the aimpoint. I have no experience with it but have read great reviews about it with excellent customer service. I believe it's around $90.

3. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

If I could afford it I'd get an Eotech. Seeing as how I can't I have one a buddy gave me. I think it is a nock off of an aim point.

4. Fixer

Fixer New Member

EOTechs are not knocks-offs of Aimpoints. They are completely different in every way.

The best bang for your buck can be a crappy RDS. If all you got is $50.... I'd save it and just shoot iron sights.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGPfvQyKxo&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Its all on you. Whats your cash flow? I don't trust any optic less than $200. Primary Arms are ok range optics, but in the end they are still cheap knock-offs of quality optics. I have read many reviews on them, mostly good.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I have a primary arms, and the first one they sent me would not zero at all. I emailed PA, had a response in less than half an hour, and they sent me a replacement that day, with return postage for the bad one. While I still tend to prefer my irons, the PA is a reliable sight, and the customer service was phenomenal. The new one holds zero very well.
    Being old school, I tend to like the irons, but I will admit that you get on target a lot faster with the RDS, and it is just as accurate as one would expect. I wouldn't put it through a ton of abuse, but that's just me. I would think they'd take a decent amount, and mine does get banged around a bit when I have it out.
    If you want a solid RDS? I'd save your money up and ante up for a better sight down the road.

6. losack

losack New Member

I have an Eotech. Great red dot, but pricey.

I just purchased a Vortex Sparc. $200 bucks threw it on mini-14. Fast an accurate!

Check them out!

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

another very good low priced optic is the vortex strikefire. has a red and green dot option. no poi shift when switching colours. comes with multiple mount options. best warranty there is, better than eotech trijicon or aimpoint warranty. break a vortex product and they fix or replace regardless of where or how you got it. doesnt matter if you sent the warranty in or not.

vortex sparc and strikefire are fantastic low cost options. if you decide you want a better rds like aimpoint or a holographic like eotech or a magnified like a acog you still got a superb optic in the vortex for riding on a 22lr.

i highly recommend either the sparc or strikefire as low budget options. i have both and used both on 458socom and 458winmag with zero poi shift under very heavy recoil.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Best bang for your buck = Aimpoint H1. One and done. You'll end up w/ one eventually anyway.

9. Fixer

Fixer New Member

I have heard good things about them too. I had no idea the warranty was that good. If that's the case if I was looking for a low cost optic, they would get my money. Until now it would have been primary arms.

Anyone know what pa has for warranty service restrictions? That would seal the deal on who's got the best bang for the lower end buck.

10. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I have an STS-081 Sig Sauer on my AR and I had read mixed reviews. I have used the Aimpoint H1 and Bushnell TRS-25, and I could not tell much difference. Bought the STS-081 on eBay for $100 (retail $250). I do plan to upgrade to an Eotech eventually.

The STS-081 works great in my opinion. Easy to acquire, with both eyes open and holds zero. I have not had to adjust the zero in over 500 rounds.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I keep warming up to this option, no doubt it's among the toughest solutions out there. For now I'm still using two Bushnell TRS-25s and no problems but hate to recommend since others haven't been as fortunate.

12. Fixer

Fixer New Member

I have heard good things about them too. I had no idea the warranty was that good. If that's the case if I was looking for a low cost optic, they would get my money. Until now it would have been primary arms.

Anyone know what pa has for warranty service restrictions? That would seal the deal on who's got the best bang for the lower end buck.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

PA is a one yr warranty for the original owner , Vortex warranty covers the end user wether you were the original purchaser or not , the Vortex is 2X the money but they make great products and back their stuff 100% and it will last you a lifetime :)

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

If they work for you then you're gtg. I just get a warm fuzzy mounting an Aimpoint.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Amazon has the Eotech 512 for $380 if i'm not mistaken. Yes as everyone said, the Vortex strikefire is good. It has green or red dot. For under $200 price range, i believe its reasonable and comes with the riser too. I was thinking of getting one for my next build.

16. Fixer

Fixer New Member

the $380 EOtech normally is a used one, a fake one being sold as a real one, (yes it happens on Amazon as well as E-bay) or its a rimfire EOtech with a rimfire weaver mount.

Looks like I could be wrong. Its a new 512. new they run $420ish. Still a good deal if they kept it in good condition. If its a REV F, then it has the upgraded software and you just need to remember the battery springs have a 5000 round lifespan. There is an upgrade for the springs. That was the issue on the 512s as I remember. the recoil weaken the springs to the point the battery will bounce off the spring breaking electrical contact and shut the unit off during fire.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It boggles mt mind how anyone could spend anywhere from $900 to $1300 on a quality rifle, and another $300-$500 on "kewl looking" accessories, then complain about paying $500-$600 for a quality sight.:rolleyes:

18. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I just picked up a Bushnell TRS 25. Haven't gotten to the range yet, but the thing feels very high quality. They run anywhere from 80-120$. Look into it, Haven't seen a bad review yet.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I jave it too on my AK. Its great, value for money. For a $80 price range i think its awesome.

20. X-mark

X-mark New Member