Red dot Sighting

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by synical, Dec 30, 2011.

1. synical

synical New Member

I have a Nc Star 3-9x scope on my AR and on top it has a red dot but I cant seem to get the red dot sighted. It is either too high or shooting the dirt for somereason I cant get it to go down range is there a way to do it other than getting a bore sight?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sounds like you got a bad red dot , Send it back and try again , NCS isnt know for the best quality

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Synical,

If the mount is tight and the impact point is changing that much with the rifle sand bagged and benched. As Havoc stated you certainly have a defective sight. I would contact the manufacturer and advise them. If it is new they should repair or replace it at no cost. If used, they might charge you a few bucks to repair it! *But for no more than the unit costs I would get an estimate from them when you send it in before I authorized the start of the repair.

4. synical

synical New Member

ok sounds like a plan!

5. synical

synical New Member

actually I went today and got a laser bore sight just to make sure I am doing everything right! I am gonna try that before I send anything back.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Do your scope and/or irons hold zero? If so, they're much better than a bore sight. (Of course none of them would help much if you have a loose or defective RDS).

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

There are parallax issues for RDS. Try and boresight it as far as possible. 15 yards should be good enough.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'd also look at mounting your RDS at 45 degrees off the rail on your upper receiver.

9. synical

synical New Member

well I cant really remount it its on top of my scope see what I mean!

Attached Files:

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That gun is getting pretty busy! :D

11. synical

synical New Member

yeah she is a little heavy in the barrel however she shoots like a dream! but this is about all she is getting unless I decide to change out the scope for an eotech!

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Is the mount and RDS perm attached to the 3-9?

13. synical

synical New Member

I think it might come off I'll look at it and see!

14. synical

synical New Member

Actually I just found a picture of how its mounted. I dont know what its called but I am sure you guys will know if I can adjust it or not!

Attached Files:

15. synical

synical New Member

well I have not actually sandbaged the weapon! I use my bipod when I sighted in the scope. But could not seem to get the red dot sighted in!

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

So the RDS mounts on a rail on top of the scope? Whatever, that looks real flimsy, I bet it can flex enough to affect the RDS zero. Lose the scope and try the RDS by itself on top for a test.

Plus it's low priced stuff which usually gives you headaches. Which might be part of the the answer to the question in your signature! "(Why does this always happen to me?") :D

17. synical

synical New Member

Well Quentin I cant knock the scope. It holds zero well and I have heard good things from other people who also use this scope. I have taken mine on and off several times and she is still zeroed so I cant complain. If I cant get the red dot to work no big deal I bought the scope cause I liked it the red dot was just an extra perk. besides I have flip up front and rear sights on the weapon as well for back up! :cool:

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Are you saying you don't want to test the RDS by itself? I don't care, it's up to you but I thought you wanted to figure this out. Easy test is all I'm saying.

19. synical

synical New Member

Oh yeah I am going shooting this weekend for my birthday and I will test it then just to see!