Red dot sight or scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by The_Rican, Mar 23, 2010.

1. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

I am in the process of getting an AR-12 .223. I would like to buy a red dot sight or scope but don't know much about what to buy.. I have seen all sorts of prices but I would like to keep it in the $100 to $150 if possible (if it's less then great).

Any advice? If it helps I just started in this sport, I have a lot to learn..
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  2. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Hey! Why don't you stop by the Introductions thread and tell us a few things about you so we can get to know you first?

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

How are you wanting to use it and for what purposes and ranges? That will determine which may perform better for your uses. Both have their strengths & weaknesses.

4. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

So far i would start shooting at the range, eventually maybe hunting... At least till I get another rifle.

5. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Ok.. I did. What would you like to know?

6. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Just whatever you feel like sharing. Some post age and location in the world, others go more into detail about what their gun related hobbies are, what they are interested in such as hunting, shooting, and whatnot. All up to you! Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the forums! :D

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Based on that and not knowing your budget a conventional scope might work slightly better for you. With red dot sites the battery may run down and you may lose some precision as compared to a good scope. The good ol 3x-9x is hard to beat. Keep it turned down for hunting and up for range plinking.

8. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Do you recomend anything in particular? Also, if I go the red/green dot route, what do you recomend?

9. Warren2

Warren2 New Member

For range shooting and distance hunting defiantly go for a scope.

Now if your looking for quick alignment on quick moving targets at up to 100 yards a nice red dot sight would be more in order. In the price range you mentioned a Vortex Strike Fire red dot system at $125 would work out fine, or even cheaper would be a Tasco system at about $40 which a lot of people seem to like.

10. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

I got Ultradot red dots on a mini 14 and an AR15, great for 100 yds, maybe further, I use mine on hogs and coyotes, good fast target acquisition for about $150.:cool:

11. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Thx for the info!! I end up getting a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC. I will keep this information in mind for when a build another one.. :D

12. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

Finish product

Just wanted to share my AR with the 3-9x40. Thanks for the help. :D

Attached Files:

• ar.jpg
      ar.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice looking setup there!

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice looking stick.

Have you tried the Magpul Miad grip? It is an awesome upgrade when used with the Magpul trigger guard. It eliminates the possibility of rubbing a hole in your middle finger with the sharp edges of the receiver at the top of the grip.

How does it shoot?

15. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

I actully have and it is pretty comfortable. I was actually thinking of the ERGO AR15/M16 Tactical Deluxe Grip, SUREGRIP. Have you tried it. I am open to feedback..

I actually went shooting on Sunday and it was great. I center the scope at 100 yds and that's when the fun started. I was using 5.5" targets and bullseye!! :D

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have used the Ergo, but IMO nothing comes close to the Miad. I have a box full of various AR grips out in the garage somewhere.

Waiting for a range report with some pics......Ha.

17. The_Rican

The_Rican New Member

target

M14sRock:

Ask and you shall receive.... I will go check out the Miad..

5.5" target 100yds

Attached Files: