Red dot scope?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by louieboots, Feb 8, 2012.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

I Wanna put a red dot scope on my Mini 14 ranch rifle..Any suggestions? And how do I mount it? Will work with scope rings that came with it? Please leave me feed back..Thanks!

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm not real familiar w/ the Mini but I have made the mistake of trying to go cheap w/ red dot sights. It never works out as you're left wanting more (better). There is one exception to the rule, Primary Arms' micro red dot.

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

You can either get a square reflex red dot or a circullar red dot. If i was you I would go with the circular red dot. And dont buy a cheap one make sure its quality. Ive been through several cheap red dots that do nothing but ruin a day at the range. Also all the red dot sights I have seen attach to a picitanny rail(spelling?) really easy attachment.

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

your mini 14 has Ruger scalloped mounts I believe, that mount is proprietary for Ruger firearms but you can get an adapter that lets you mount a picatinny rail on top and most all red dots mount to that. Enjoy, quality red dots get expensive look around and do some shopping.

5. louieboots

louieboots New Member

So it sounds like its not gonna be cheap to do this..

6. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Well look at it this way would you rather spend a little more and get a good product that lasts a long time and keeps you happy or do you want to buy cheap and keep fussing with it and be mad and eventualy spend more replacing the cheap one than you would just buying a good one.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Louie take a look here , I hear nothing but great stuff on their products and if you have an issue Marshall will take care of it very promptly , their prices are great and their customer service is top notch . I own the micro dot and have been very happy with it roughly 2000 rds thru my new gun and the red dot has stayed right on target ,super bright also . One of my family members owns their new 3X compact scope and loves it . I really dont think you need a $400+ battle sight for your basic sportsmens use .

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

8. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thank you Pure Havok I'll check it out bro..

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No problem Louie and if you have any questions give them a call and talk to Marshall about your application and mounts .

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you mount a scope over the action, it will have to be removed to take out the bolt for cleaning. The cheap rails that fit the Ruger scope mounts will sometimes interfere with the rear sight. You will have to remove the rear sight or modify the rail. The Weigand rail ($50) will work without mods and return to zero if you follow the mounting directions. Amega Range makes a scout rail ($150) that replaces the top fore end cover and the top of the gas block. The red dot or a pistol scope mounts on the rail and leaves the action open so cleaning is easier. There are red dots and scopes with red dots that will fit the Ruger rings. The rings that came with your mini are 1" (25mm). You may need 30mm rings depending on which red dot or scope you go with. The Ruger rings are supposed to return to zero. Personally I like the 1-4X scopes with the lit reticles. They still work if the battery dies. I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 with an illuminated 4A reticle 30mm tube coming for my AR. If it works out, I will get one or something similar for my Mini 30.

11. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Yeah I seen that scout rail I'm kinda of diggin it.. Maybe that with a decent red dot scope would be nice..way easier to do a field strip..thanks for the info!

12. losack

losack New Member

I got a weaver mount on amazon that mounts on the scallop cuts.

Then mounted a vortex sparc CQB red dot. Reasonable price good quality. Brownells has a review on their website.

Good combo.

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

it doesn't HAVE to be crazy expensive, but it certainly can be.

when i decided to get into a red dot, i didn't want to spend a fortune on something i might not like.

i ended up with a millet SP1 red dot. i actually got a used one for $25, and i bought a new one which will cost about $70 or so. it will work fine on standard ruger 1" RINGS. it is a 3moa and it works great for me out to about 50 yards, beyond that (for me) it might as well be irons. it really does work well for quick shots.

i am satisfied with it for the price. hard to find quality inexpensive ones that will work on your ruger rings.

in the mini gallery, i have a pic of it on my mini. hope this helps!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  14. hawkguy

ok....here is my silver millet SP1 on my mini.

i also have a black one, which i think looks a bit better.

Attached Files:

15. louieboots

louieboots New Member

@Hawkguy that looks really good on your mini! Where can I pick one up like that and how much?

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wonder how good vision would be w/ such a narrow lense.

17. hawkguy

http://swfa.com/Millett-1x-SP-1-Electronic-Red-Dot-Sight-P9260.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...olographic+Sights-_-PriceCompListing-_-846795

there's a couple of links. both swfa and midway are good to go (i have bought from both with great results).

mine is the 1" tube with 3MOA dot. but there are several varieties available. i went with the 1" because of my ruger rings. about $70-80 is the norm for the SP1.

i think the millet is a great red dot at the price point. but i will openly admit i am not an expert in the field of red dots. i use my millet to practice quick shots on objects at short range, and imo it works very well for that. as for ruggedness, i can't testify. i have only put a few hundred rounds through my mini with the red dot on it. so far...so good.

18. hawkguy

i think the field of vision is very decent myself. you just leave both eyes open and this optic works great. but it is a red dot (not a holographic, which would cost 3-4 times as much), so you need to maintain your cheek weld for it to work well. the scope is also available in 30mm which probably would increase your field of view somewhat. being the cheapo i am, i just went with 1" cause it fit my free ruger rings. ;)

for the $, i think its hard to beat. and if you are able to prevent buying a rail, etc., then the savings just add up. for the budget minded, it is a good option imo.

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Don't know what you looking to spend but I believe you get what you pay for. I've had an EOTECH red dot on my AR for 8 years now. Made the mistake of mounting it too far forward where the battery compartment was overhanging the gap between the rail and the handguard. Then I let my son and nephew have at it with 1000 rounds in a afternoon. "think it actually took them about 2 hours".

Anyway, the heat off the barrel and gas tube was enough to melt the bottom of the battery compartment but this had NO ILL EFFECTS on the site! Other than a bit of discoloration. That was 3 years ago and the same EOTECH just jumped from a worn out Bushy upper with well over 10000 rounds though it to my new LMT upper AND IT'S STILL AS BRIGHT AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT!

Fantastic product, but it will set you back the cost of a decent pistol.:eek:

Good luck

Tack

20. hawkguy

i have shot with an eotech on my bud's AR and they are an amazing optic! but this is a holographic sight and is really in a different category (both in quality and price) from your average red dot. but if you are willing the spend the money, they are awesome and seem to be worth it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012