Red dot scope for .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by zimm, Aug 24, 2011.

1. zimm

zimm New Member

Am looking for a good quality compact red dot scope w/ a mount for a 3/8" dovetail. The rifle that's going to wear it is a Henry youth model. The rifle's sights aren't great and not adjustable for windage. Right now I have a small Barska red dot scope mounted on it. Problem is, the Barska has a weaver-style mount so I had to use an adapter which raises the scope up too high. I tried a .22 scope but it just looked too out-of-place on the little lever gun. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Zimmy

2. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Spotters Edge 1x22 red/green dot sight for like 55$

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Center Point Red Dot from Walmart is around $44.98 I believe...

Have you considered a Tang Peep?? Marbles & Lyman make great ones.

Or even a Skinner Barrel-mount Peep would be a HUGE improvement...
    Henry Rifles

4. lambman

lambman New Member

I bought a pretty nice one from bass pro shop, it was a TrueGlow red and green dot. Fits nice on the 10/22.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Are you wanting a red dot SCOPE or SIGHT?
    I just wanted to try one (red/green dot sight) for (well, just cause) so I got the below NCStar for a woppin $23 shipped off Ebay - Its metal NO plastic & it works great on my little Henry :D Thinking bout putting one on my 10-22 :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. zimm

zimm New Member

I would love a sight like that, but I have heard a lot of less than flattering things about NC Star products. And the similar products from other manufacturers are set up for weaver-style bases, not 3/8" grooved receivers.

7. KMO

KMO New Member

UltraDot Match-Dot

Find an adapter for some 30mm rings, and go for the Match-Dot by UltraDot. You won't be sorry...

[​IMG]

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Very true, without buying a adaptor (more bulk & things to shoot loose) options are very limited :(

KMO has a gud thought but I wanted a open site- no tube :cool:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Are you looking for a Red Dot sight or a Reflex type sight? Both do the same purpose, but the Reflex style is more of an open sight device with a built in mount over the Red Dot type which is a tube style and ability to change out the rings if they don't work on your receiver mounts. I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on a 870-20ga. and it's been very good at holding up to the recoil, but it does have the Weaver style mounts. You're biggest problem as you've found is finding something that works on a grooved receiver and I don't know of any Red Dots out there with this kind of setup since most are in a 1" or 30mm configuration with Weaver/Piccanny mounts. One option would be to find what type/size Red Dot sight you want, then look online for the rings that will work on your receiver, THEN purchase the Red Dot sight. Only other option would be to get a 3/4" scope that Tasco/Bushnell/Leupold sell and put on that fine little rifle. Another option would be to find if you would want/like a "Lazer" on that little rifle. I have a Center Point lazer on a rifle, while it's only good for up maximum 50yds in daytime, it's great at night for those possums/raccoons/skunks with up to 200yds and it has both types of base mount rings in package to fit either a Weaver or 22/Air Rifle mounts.
    Del