Red dot on Mini

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by NGIB, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My Mini came with a cheap scope and I have a better one on the way; however, maybe I want to go another way. Right now I'm toying with putting the new scope on my AR and either keeping just iron sights on the Mini or maybe adding a red dot or holosight. As everything seems to want a Weaver or Picatinny mount these days - what's a good one for the Mini that won't break the bank?

Also, should I go ahead and pick up a smaller gas bushing (yes, I've been reading a lot) and a new pack of shok-buffs?

2. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I prefer open sights on my Mini and most of my other rifles also. I still like the challenge of irons until my eyes decide to go south, then I might consider glass. Mini's can also be hard on optics.

Jim..........

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I just bought the side mount from CA357 for my min. It allows use of the iron sights still. Am mounting a red dot on it. I will let you know how it works out. He'll I'll post a few pics.

4. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I have one mini with open sights, an M1 Carbine rear, modified front and my Tactical has a Millet DMS-1
    I really like the Millet. Has a 1 MOA dot @ 100 and a circle that's 10" in the center, 12.6" on the outside. Great for rangefinding and the circle is fantastic for up close snap shooting. It's a 1X to 4 X so it can be used as a reflex sight also. Not quite as good a relex sight as one made just for that purpose, but it works well. It has held up to a lot of rounds and not had a problem.
    They can be found for about $200. new if you look around a little.
    For target shooting @ 100, just put a 1" paster up, cover it with the center dot and fire. It's been good enough to allow me a best 5 shot group of .092" @ 100.

John K

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I stuck an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on my new style Mini. Bought a set of 30mm Ruger rings from Optics Planet and used the Ruger receiver mount. Gave the extra ring to my shooting partner and he did the same.

Warne makes a nice Picatinny rail that clamps onto the Ruger receiver.

The top Mini in this pic has the Ap on it. It rocks.
    [​IMG]

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

What kind of stock are you going to use? I have a spare all weather/ houge style stock in the closet?

7. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Dave, the Hogue stocks are nice. The rubber makes them quiet, but is not too "sticky".

8. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Came on the rife new and I traded out to my ATI Strikeforce.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I took off the factory synthetic on my new Mini and put on the Hogue. Had to paint it to kill the "sticky" and keep it from getting too hot. They fit me very well.

10. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

The Aimpoint is a nice piece. We have the 4s at work. I still prefer my ACOG because I can't see for crap.

You are making me want to finally swap out the stock my 14. I hate the folder.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

God spoiled me with perfect vision, so Aimpoints work great for me. I stick them almost everything.

12. KMO

KMO Member

Just wait 'til 50 comes...Praise the Lord for fiber optic sights!

As for red dots on a Mini, I gave it a try, but didn't want to invest too much in a red dot, given my Minis' history for munching optics. I softened things up with a 1911-style recoil buffer and a reduced size gas port bushing, and then gave a TruGlo sight a try. I know it's Chinese, but I initially thought it would be sacrificed anyway. Well, it's still on the rifle, and I have to say it does pretty well. I put it on a B-Square see-under rail so I could retain the use of my iron sights. It turned out to be a pretty fun setup. For about $80, I like it so far...;)

13. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I close to 50 and still holding! Fingers crossed, of course.

I am a big believer in shock buffers in my M14's and Mini 14's. I can easily feel the change.

Aimpoints are virtually indestructible so I don't worry about them. The Tru Glo's are probably the best of the budget red dots. IOR has a couple of nifty red dots, too,.

14. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I put a cheap red dot on my mini mounting on an elevated two rail side mount. This gives me the option of still using the iron sights. In fact right now just cause i had one laying around i have a little laser on the side, red dot on top and iron sights below.

The only problem i have is putting the optics high enough to still use the irons puts it to high for my liking, i feel like i cant shoulder the weapon correctly and still get a good sight picture in the scope.

just my 2 cents.