Red Dot on an AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Mick3411, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Am interested in putting a Red Dot on my AK. Tried a $100 Sight Mark and it died after about 100 rounds. I dont want to put $450 into a red dot. Do you have any recommendations?

2. KHickam

KHickam Member

vortex strike force - There are several reviews on the net and they seem positive

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Primary arms micro red dot also gets lots of good reviews on AKs.

4. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I have a Primary Arms on my AR and it works well. I should have stayed with that one. The Vortex sounds interesting too though.

5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Primary Arms if you're not wanting to go Aimpoint.

What happened here is what a lot of us try so hard to prevent only to be called snobs. $100 was wasted on an optic most would have recommended the posted to stay away from. $100 I'm sure should have been spent on range time.

6. Glore

Glore New Member

I have a Vortex Sparc. The no nonsense warranty sold me. I got a friend a primary arms for his SKS. Ive shot both and without any bias, id say the Vortex Sparc has a slight lead. One thing i DO NOT like is the on/off position on the Sparc. Its on the side and after reading reviews about how putting the gun in a case could accidentally turn the dot on, thought it wouldnt happen to me. I was wrong. It did happen and the negative reviews on the on/off position hold true. Other than that...no complaints.

Attached Files:

7. Glore

Glore New Member

Another thing, i couldnt find aftermarket lens caps to replace the cheap bikini covers for the primary arms. I did however find a nice set of flip ups that fit the Sparc nicely.

8. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I have used both a AIMPOINT M4 and EO-Tech 553 on my AKs and my AMD-65 they both work great.:)

9. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I'm running a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Saiga, has worked fine so far. If I was buying the red dot now, I'd probably go with a Vortex or a Primary Arms.

Saiga with the TRS-25 mounted on an Ultimak mount.
    [​IMG]

10. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

My self as well have the TRS-25 but I jus got the new Guntec beryl style rail with flip up peep sight and combine that with 74 muzzle brake and a doubled sight radius with Guntec's rail which doesn't cost more than the rifle like other upgrades and co-witness the TRS25 and I have found my mix.... Bring the AK and leave the cannoli

11. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

image-688714757.jpg

TRS25 with Guntec beryl rail with rear peep sight

12. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

All the suggestions are there...I've got the TRS25 Bushnell on Guntec new beryl style rail with rear peep sight and I love it. Double sight radius and the mount is solid and doesn't cost as much as the rifle as some rail systems for the AK do..

image-2666036026.jpg

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I have the Bushnell TRS25 on my Arsenal Saiga. Mounted on side rail. Works great and always zero. Highly recommended and not bad for a $80 price range.

Attached Files:

14. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

Love the AK...!

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

16. Glore

Glore New Member

Great AK, how do you like the foregrip? Does it mount on stock without mods?

17. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

TRS-25 on my M10-762 works great. Its all I need out to 300 yards. Beyond that, who cares, its an AK.

ForumRunner_20120612_235312.jpg

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The stock Arsenal doesnt have top & bottom rails. So i got the inexpensive Tapco handguard which has top & bottom rails. But i only installed the bottom part. The foregrip is just perfect, fits and looks better rather than the vertical on AK, IMO.

19. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

Also wanted to ask what is that you have mounted on your charging handle?....like it and I want one, and does extend the length a little cause my bolt carrier latch is a little short and crude... Thanks

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-266/Tromix-Saiga-Ak47-extended/Detail

Its an add on which u bolt on the existing latch. Makr sure you use blue loctite on the screw. So far i have no problem with it, love it and it makes my AK looks better. ;).