Red dot on .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Jake3418, May 21, 2020.

1. Jake3418

Jake3418 New Member

Does anyone know if a bushnell trs25 will fit on a Remington 522? Or if you have experience putting any other red dot on this rifle I am looking to get one.

towboater likes this.
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would think it would work.

3. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

If your Rem 522 has a Picatinny Rail it will do fine. Diagrams I've seen don't look like it is a P-rail, though. As the TRS-25 has one tightening screw to clamp it onto a rail, it may be possible it will work on the 522's rail at either of the two scope-mount slots.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Does your 522 look like this? If yes, the red dot will attach.

[​IMG]

Sniper03, towboater and JTJ like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

They are correct! If the rail looks like Gator's. It will work fine if the Optic has the normal Picitinny width Rail and One Cross Bolt for mounting on the bottom of the Optic. Does your rail attach with screws. I can't tell on Gators. If it does even if you had to modify it by machining a second cross slot in it for an optic that might have two cross bolts on the bottom of he optic that would be no problem. Also Tasco makes a decent Red Dot as does Bushnell. And there are many others made for the normal real thin mounting cuts on the top of the Receivers like those on the Remington 552 Rifles and others.

By the way when mounting any Optic you want always push the Optic or Mounts forward until the Cross Bolt of the Optic stops against the rear of the forward Slot or cut Notch. This because recoil what little there is on a 22 pushes the gun to the rear when fired. For big bores it is absolutely critical that it is done before torqueing the mounts.
    Jake send us some pictures of your rifle. And later the optic when you get it on there.

SRK97 likes this.
  6. Gatoragn

I just scrounged this picture of the intertubez, I don't own one of these.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The only thing negative about using a red dot sight on a 22 is accuracy. Since most cheaper red dots have a 3 or 5 MOA dot,the dot will cover up the intended target at the range that most people shoot 22's.

Mercator and SRK97 like this.
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gator,

I do know about you guys, but that looks like close to the standard size for a Picitinny Rail. Beside only having two cross cuts? It does not look like the real narrow standard 22 mounting surface.

9. Gatoragn

I bet ya hunderd dollars vs a bottle of pizz and furnish both that the red dot will clamp on the rail. :)

SRK97 and Sniper03 like this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That top rail looks like the old standard Weaver base. The red dot should work.
    If you have uncorrected astigmatism you will not be happy with the red dot. I can only use them with my glasses. I can use a scope with out my glasses by adjusting the eye bell.

11. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

JTJ, I guess my eyes are just contrary...I have to remove my glasses when using a scope, but put them on for irons and 'dots. Without glasses, the 'dot is a nice star! Your assessment about the fitting is right-on.

I have only one .22 with an optic (10/22) and I put a Simmons 3-9X40 scope on it. Overkill but nice, but it isn't one I carry around. I've a Marlin 99M1 with irons for portability and a light/quick shooter. Don't hunt, so they are purely plinking "tools"... Fun tools! Or should I say "toys"...

JTJ likes this.
  12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

On the Internet and on Amazon they have several combination scope/red dot/red and green lasers.
    $70.00-80.00 I don't remember the brand(s) Chinese of course the published reviews are good, bu no way of knowing if the seller wrote them. A 300 meter green laser and red dot and scope, oh and rangefinder on some higher priced models but overkill for a .22 perhaps.
    I'm consider one for the Marlin .22 cost more than the rifle did.

Mercator likes this.
  13. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

welcome to the board, Jake :)

when it comes to optics, I would opt for a magnified scope, ie. 4x20, it brings the target closer to you

you don't need to spend a whole lot of money for that kind of scope, 4x20 scopes are relatively inexpensive ie. cheap :D

I put a old Chinese RED STAR scope I bought ages ago on my STG 44 .22, it works like a champ, hadn't lost "zero" since I put it on over 4 years ago. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

My TRS25 fit on a UTG picatinny rail on a 10/22 takedown . I dont know if the rail in your pic is a weaver or pic but it should fit .

I really like the cheap chinese red/green reflex sights . I just bought a Winchester model 270 pump action .22 and it had an 11mm dovetail on it and I put one of those reflex sites on it that had a dovetail base and it is pretty cool . Kinda difficult to get it sighted in . 2moa dot too . Fun little rifle that pump .

And the TRS 25 and the reflex both take cr2032 batteries . I got 50 of the sony ones for 13 bucks.

15. JTJ

Gh0zt36 likes this.
  16. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

Looks just like a re badged TRS25

17. JTJ

It is supposed to have 2 moa dot and 50K battery life. TRS25 has a 3 moa dot and 1-3K battery life. I have several TRS and one not mounted otherwise I would order one. Also have Vortex Venom not mounted. Cant seem to find a home for it and I have tried it on several guns.

Gh0zt36 likes this.